[comp.ai.philosophy] request for information

bohm@lictor.acsu.buffalo.edu (Eric J. Bohm) (12/05/90)

	Hello, due to the lack of an obviously relevant newsgroup I am posting
this message to these two philosophy groups.

	I have a friend at the University of Albany (without Net access) who
will be graduating this year with a BA in philosophy. He is looking to find
some good grad schools to apply to, but has found very little useful
information on which schools have good depts, and what those depts are good
at. Essentially, he has been easily able to find the names of some of the very
best schools, and some of the worst, but finding out how schools rank at the
upper end, without being at the very top (or having big names), has been
nigh upon impossible.

	His interests are Logic and Language, and computer related
disciplines.  He has  a 3.7 GPA and 90% Analytic score on the GRE. Thus, he
might have trouble  getting in as a supported grad in the top schools, but
should be able to get in as a supported grad in the very good schools.

	Any information on such schools, or even the name of a  good solid
reference text (of recent publication) that could be used to determine such
schools, would be most appreciated.

please send such information to whichever one of the addresses below that
works for you:

bohm@acsu.buffalo.edu
uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!bohm@uunet.UU.NET
acsu.buffalo.edu!bohm
uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!bohm
bohm@sunybcs.bitnet
jb1850@uacsc2.albany.edu
jb1850@albny1vx.bitnet

Thank you.
--
Gothmog AKA Eric Bohm
[ It can be shown that a neat .sig file can be created and that there exists  ]

johnr@hpcljer.HP.COM (John Rodriguez) (12/17/90)

Sorry if this request is inappropriate for this notes group.

I was listening to a National Public Radio interview with an author
whose name I heard as Joel Adelman. This author was introduced as
one who could write eloquently about both the neural level and the
abstract thought level of the brain; and illustrate the connections
when appropriate.

After looking in a 'Current Titles' book of Authors at a bookstore
I found there was no Joel Adelman listed. Did anyone hear this broadcast
or have an idea of who the author might be.

greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com (ben a green) (12/18/90)

In article <105460001@hpcljer.HP.COM> johnr@hpcljer.HP.COM (John Rodriguez) writes:

   I was listening to a National Public Radio interview with an author
   whose name I heard as Joel Adelman. This author was introduced as
   one who could write eloquently about both the neural level and the
   abstract thought level of the brain; and illustrate the connections
   when appropriate.

   After looking in a 'Current Titles' book of Authors at a bookstore
   I found there was no Joel Adelman listed. Did anyone hear this broadcast
   or have an idea of who the author might be.

Make that Gerald Edelman. Eloquent, yes; clear, no, IMHO.
--
Ben A. Green, Jr.
greenba@crd.ge.com

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (12/24/90)

In article <GREENBA.90Dec18100900@gambia.crd.ge.com> greenba@gambia.crd.ge.com
(ben a green) writes:
>In article <105460001@hpcljer.HP.COM> johnr@hpcljer.HP.COM (John Rodriguez)
>writes:
>
>   I was listening to a National Public Radio interview with an author
>   whose name I heard as Joel Adelman. This author was introduced as
>   one who could write eloquently about both the neural level and the
>   abstract thought level of the brain; and illustrate the connections
>   when appropriate.
>
>   After looking in a 'Current Titles' book of Authors at a bookstore
>   I found there was no Joel Adelman listed. Did anyone hear this broadcast
>   or have an idea of who the author might be.
>
>Make that Gerald Edelman. Eloquent, yes; clear, no, IMHO.

The titles of the books in question are probably NEURAL DARWINISM and THE
REMEMBERED PRESENT.  I certainly agree that these books are not for the casual
reader;  but I would say they are clear enough, provided you realize that you
are probably going to have to read them more than once.  The reader in search
of a more casual introduction to Edelman's approach would probably be best off
with Israel Rosenfield's THE INVENTION OF MEMORY.  Also, the November 22 issue
of THE NEW YORK REVIEW had an excellent article by Oliver Sacks (always a clear
writer) in which Sacks draws upon Edelman's approach to interpret some of his
own case histories.

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	5000 Centinela Avenue  #129
	Los Angeles, California  90066

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"It's only words . . . unless they're true."--David Mamet