[comp.ai.philosophy] comuter life - defn

bjkinane@vax1.tcd.ie (03/05/91)

Ok here is a possible definition of life.

1 - shape
2 - energy processing
3 - information processing
4 - reproduction

As long as an organism fulfills these criteria, can it be considered a life
form ? Does it matter how these criteria are implemented, as long as they
exist. Consequently, does it matter how an organism came into existence as long
as it exists ?

eomu01@castle.ed.ac.uk (Hall) (03/08/91)

bjkinane@vax1.tcd.ie writes:

>Ok here is a possible definition of life.

>1 - shape
>2 - energy processing
>3 - information processing
>4 - reproduction

I think that we have already had several definitions of "life" during
the course of this discussion! To add another one now would only seem to
muddy the waters!!!

:Nicholas

szarekw@lonexc.radc.af.mil (William J. Szarek) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar5.135838.7905@vax1.tcd.ie> bjkinane@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Ok here is a possible definition of life.
>
>1 - shape
>2 - energy processing
>3 - information processing
>4 - reproduction