[comp.ai.philosophy] What is your favorite definition of AI?

leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) (03/05/91)

I have encountered many, many times with questions like what is
AI, either from technical or nontechnical people.

For my classmates, I would just tell them to take a "intro" course
on AI, but what if you need to explain to someone in 2 minutes
what generally AI is, what is its potential and how does it change
people 's life, in a accurate and concrete sense, so normal people
would not find it hard to understand and people with technical
background(e.g.CS student) would not think the explanations are
too vague.

Normally, I try to avoid these type of conversation, with only a
very short period of time, it is difficult to give a taste of the
subject, without going into details and not causing any confusion
from your audiences.

Any comments are welcomed and thanks in advance,

         Imagine that Cray computer decides to make a personal computer.  It has
  O   O  a 150 MHz processor, 200 megabytes of RAM, 1500 megabytes of disk
    o    storage, a screen resolution of 1024 x 1024 pixels, relies entirely on
   ___   voice recognition for input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300.
    U    What's the first question that the computer community asks?
	 "Is it PC compatible?" - a clip from fortune

 leekin@frith.egr.msu.edu |  uunet!frith!leekin  |  leekin@msuegr.bitnet

pnettlet@gara.une.oz.au (Philip Nettleton) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.192154.2209@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) writes:
> I have encountered many, many times with questions like what is
> AI, either from technical or nontechnical people.
>
> For my classmates, I would just tell them to take a "intro" course
> on AI, but what if you need to explain to someone in 2 minutes
> what generally AI is, what is its potential and how does it change
> people 's life, in a accurate and concrete sense, so normal people
> would not find it hard to understand and people with technical
> background(e.g.CS student) would not think the explanations are
> too vague.
>
> Normally, I try to avoid these type of conversation, with only a
> very short period of time, it is difficult to give a taste of the
> subject, without going into details and not causing any confusion
> from your audiences.
>

> Any comments are welcomed and thanks in advance,

Quite a worthwhile discussion was had last year about coming up with
an unbiased (non-human centred) definition of intelligence. I thought
it about time to repost the results in light of recent postings.

As before, any constructive critisms would be most
appreciated and flames will of course be ignored.

			DEFINITION:
	GENERAL REQUIREMENTS OF AN INTELLIGENT SYSTEM.

a)	The system MUST be able to learn. This implies that the
	system MUST have a memory for learning to be maintained.
	Also learning comes in a number of varieties:

	i)	It MUST be able to learn from its own experiences.
		These can be broken down into further groupings:

		1)	Learning through trial and error.
		2)	Learning through observation.
		3)	Learning through active reasoning.

	ii)	It SHOULD be able to learn by instruction, but this
		is not necessary. At the very least the system MUST
		have preprogrammed instincts. This is a boot strap
		for the developing intelligence.  Without a starting
		point, the system cannot progress.

b)	The system MUST be autonomous. That is to say, it MUST be
	able to do things by itself (however may choose to accept
	aid).  This can be dissected as:

	i)	The system MUST be able to affect its environment
		based on its own independent conclusions.

	ii)	The system MUST be its own master first and foremost,
		and therefore not require operator intervention to
		function. This does not necessarily rule out the
		taking of orders from another system, but the choice
		to obey MUST be made by the system itself.

	iii)	The system MUST be motivated. It must have needs and
		requirements that can to be satisfied by its own
		actions.

c)	The system MUST be able to reason. That is to say, it must
	use some form of reasoning, based on known facts and capable
	of producing insights which later become known facts. It
	should be noted that the degree of certainty about the truth
	of a known fact is also an important concept and some way of
	dealing with uncertainty MUST be provided.

d)	The system MUST be able to develop self awareness. This is
	related to autonomy, reasoning and learning, but also
	embodies the need for internal and external senses. Without
	these senses there is no way of appreciating the difference
	between "me" and "outside of me". Sensations of pain and
	pleasure can provide motivation.
			DEFINITION OF TERMS.

1)	A "system" CAN be comprised of multiple subsystems, each one
	of these could be a system in its own right (systems theory).

2)	The "environment" in which the system exists MUST be external
	to the system, but that is as far as the definition of the
	environment goes (it could be computer generated).

3)	The terms "learning", "reasoning" and "autonomy" are
	BEHAVIOURAL characteristics, further supported by our
	understanding (to date) of how they MIGHT work.

4)	The term "self awareness" is based on learning, reasoning
	and autonomy, and is the state where the system is aware
	(has knowledge) of its own existence as separate from its
	environment.

5)	"Intelligence" is a BEHAVIOURAL phenomena displayed by
	intelligent systems.

6)	"Truth" about a known fact is SUBJECTIVE with respect to the
	system. Ultimate truth is an ideal which is seldom
	achievable even in "human intelligence".

7)	"Certainty" is a statistical measure of the probability of
	a fact being true.

8)	"Reasoning" can never be independent of a language (read
	any good book on logic and this will become evident). The
	language, however need have no verbal or social component.

jim@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim Ruehlin, CFC User) (03/05/91)

In <1991Mar4.192154.2209@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) writes:

>I have encountered many, many times with questions like what is
>AI, either from technical or nontechnical people.

>Any comments are welcomed and thanks in advance,

One of the best definitions was one I heard on the net:  AI is trying to
make computers act like they do in the movies.

I usually tell people that AI is the practice (or research) of making computers
do things that humans do well, or of creating new machines that do what
humans do well (e.g., recognizing characters).

Unlike many people, I don't think that computers need to learn to be considered
to have intelligence (although I think the ability to learn is a sign of
intelligence).

Anyway, that's what I tell people who ask me what AI is when I don't have
much time to explain.

- Jim Ruehlin

sje@bubba.ma30.bull.com (Steven J. Edwards) (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar4.192154.2209@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee) writes:

>    From: leekin@kira.msu.edu (Kin-Wing Edwin Lee)
>    Newsgroups: comp.ai.philosophy
>
>    I have encountered many, many times with questions like what is
>    AI, either from technical or nontechnical people.
>
>    For my classmates, I would just tell them to take a "intro" course
>    on AI, but what if you need to explain to someone in 2 minutes
>    what generally AI is, what is its potential and how does it change
>    people 's life, in a accurate and concrete sense, so normal people
>    would not find it hard to understand and people with technical
>    background(e.g.CS student) would not think the explanations are
>    too vague.

	In 1977 I took the AI grad course at MSU from Carl V. Page,
and in the first day of class he gave his quick, layperson's
definition of AI.  He claimed that the field should really be called
"IA" for "Intelligence Amplification".  The analogy is:

	organic brain : AI :: muscle : mechanically-based assistance

The idea being that all AI to date and in the near future has found
applications only as assistants to "higher" thought processes, and not
as standalone applications.  AI amplifies the ability of a mind a way
similar to an automobile amplifies walking ability.

      == Steven J. Edwards           Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
      == (508) 294-3484              300 Concord Road         MS 820A ==
      == sje@bubba.ma30.bull.com     Billerica, MA 01821          USA ==
"That Government which Governs the Least, Governs Best." -- Thomas Jefferson

byland@iris.cis.ohio-state.edu (Tom Bylander) (03/06/91)

My current favorite is:

AI is the study of the relationship between computation and intelligence.

Naturally, intelligence is itself related to learning, being
autonomous, reasoning, and self-awareness.  As an AI researcher, I try
to shed some light on some aspects of these relationships, and try to
implement systems that behave intelligently in some fashion.  I think
it would be unfair to criticize my work because it does not study or
produce intelligence "as a whole".  I am a finite resource with
specialized talents and so I cannot study everything at once.  Whether
I am studying the "right" aspects of intelligent in the "right" way is
an open question, but that is true for everybody else, too, even those
who study earwigs.
							Tom

feldman@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Damon Feldman) (03/06/91)

	Don't forget that there is a lot of stuff called "AI" that is not
strong AI.  Expert systems, practical applications of neural nets, pattern
recognition, etc.
	Maybe you should add that some people include any attempt to model
human processes as AI.
	Not to say what AI should be, just what people should be told if
they want to be informed.

Damon

--

Damon Feldman                  feldman@rex.cs.tulane.edu
Computer Science Dept.         Tulane University, New Orleans LA, USA

mikeb@wdl35.wdl.loral.com (Michael H Bender) (03/07/91)

Tom,

Your definition

   AI is the study of the relationship between computation and intelligence.
is by far the best one I've heard.

Mike Bender

thadani@amygdala.cis.ohio-state.edu (Sunil Thadani) (03/08/91)

In article <90943@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Tom Bylander <byland@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>My current favorite is:
>
>AI is the study of the relationship between computation and intelligence.

But if you took computation to mean "symbol manipulation", then doesnt
your definition exclude connectionism from the field of AI?

Sunil

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
email : thadani@cis.ohio-state.edu                             Sunil Thadani

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (03/08/91)

In article <MIKEB.91Mar6121256@wdl35.wdl.loral.com> mikeb@wdl35.wdl.loral.com (Michael H Bender) writes:

>Tom,
>
>Your definition
>
>   AI is the study of the relationship between computation and intelligence.
>is by far the best one I've heard.
>
>Mike Bender

This actually sounds more like a definition of cognitive science to me. If
a definition of AI in 15 words or less is needed, how about:

	The use of any cognitive process model in the development of
	any computer application.

--
james lee peterson				petersja@CS.ColoState.edu
dept. of computer science

stucki@retina.cis.ohio-state.edu (David J Stucki) (03/09/91)

   >My current favorite is:
   >
   >AI is the study of the relationship between computation and intelligence.

   But if you took computation to mean "symbol manipulation", then doesnt
   your definition exclude connectionism from the field of AI?

   Sunil

This doesn't make sense.  Connectionism is clearly a computational
approach to understanding intelligence, and computation as symbol
manipulation is a fair characterization, so how can connectionism not
be in the field of AI, given the above definition of AI?

The difference between "symbolic AI" and connectionism is not that
connectionism doesn't use symbols -- all mathematical (or
computational) models use symbols.  The main difference, as I see it,
is in the domains of interpretation we are willing to apply to our
symbols. One factor contributing to the semantics that a symbol is
perceived to have is the set of operators that can use that symbol as
an operand.

The symbols of a connectionist model are perceived as numerical in
nature, subject to manipulation by arithmetical and numeric operators.
The symbols of "symbolic AI", on the other hand, are perceived by some
to be logical in nature, subject to manipulation by logical operators;
others allow for less restrictive characterizations, yet typically
non-numerical ones.

dave...
--
David J Stucki	   /\ ~~ /\  ~~	 /\  ~~	 /\  ~~	c/o Dept. Computer and
537 Harley Dr. #6 /  \  /  \ 	/  \ 	/  \   	/   Information Science

sag@hpctdje.HP.COM (Scott Godlew) (03/11/91)

I have had the opportunity to present AI to primary and
secondary school educators in my area, and have used the
following outline.  These people are are sometimes computer
literate, but generally run a broad spectrum of "technical"
interest.  This part of my talk takes less than 5 minutes,
excluding questions and answers.  I'm sure this will leave out
some area of AI, but most non-AI people are satisfied with this
mangitude of discussion.

        What is AI?

        - Doing things like people do them:
            - decision making
            - problem solving
            - perception
            - planning
            - etc

        - Approaches:
            - use "actual" (theorized) human processes
            - use approximation techniques that give
              desired results
            - combinations

        - Distinction of Knowledge and Intelligence
            - most practical systems today are knowledge based
            - intelligence requires learning, awareness, etc.

--

Scott Godlew, R&D Engineer         Internet: sag@hpctdkz.col.hp.com
Colorado Telecommunications Div    HPDesk: Scott GODLEW / HP3800