[comp.ai.philosophy] Dreams

munawar@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (03/25/91)

Hi,
If this is not the right bb to post the below mentioned question
forgive me.

I was wondering whether dreams are our brain's method of
garbage collection(like done with computer memory)
Has anybody done any research in to it?
-shri

schraudo@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Nici Schraudolph) (03/27/91)

munawar@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

>I was wondering whether dreams are our brain's method of
>garbage collection(like done with computer memory)
>Has anybody done any research in to it?

Crick & Mitchison have speculated that the function of dream sleep might be
to remove parasitic modes -- "false memories" that occur in some neural net
architectures under heavy storage loads.  The idea is that in REM sleep the
brain "runs" in reverse, _unlearning_ from experience.  Since there's no
sensory input, experiences in REM sleep (ie. dreams) are dominated by the
parasitic modes.

This unlearning is a rough connectionist analog to garbage collection in
symbolic computation, and is used in at least one neural net learning
algorithm (Boltzmann Machine).  Should it bear even the slightest resemblance
to what happens in humans, dream content would offer fascinating insights
into the cogs & gears of our cognitive machinery.

Question: has this hypothesis by C&M had any impact on dream research?  Have
there been any developments in this area since they made it eight years ago?