[comp.ai.philosophy] CoOntinuous vs discrete

DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Jon J Thaler) (03/24/91)

One thing that has always bothered me about the comparison between
computers and brains is that (most) computers are finite state machines,
while it is not obvious to me that brains are.  It is well known that
mathematical modelling of continuous systems on disctrete lattices
will miss some classes of solutions entirely, so I have trouble following
the arguments based on analogies between computers and brains.  Can someone
out there shed some light on this for me?

kludge@grissom.larc.nasa.gov ( Scott Dorsey) (03/25/91)

In article <91082.223501DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Jon J Thaler) writes:
>One thing that has always bothered me about the comparison between
>computers and brains is that (most) computers are finite state machines,
>while it is not obvious to me that brains are.  It is well known that
>mathematical modelling of continuous systems on disctrete lattices
>will miss some classes of solutions entirely, so I have trouble following
>the arguments based on analogies between computers and brains.  Can someone
>out there shed some light on this for me?

   Maybe in the real world everything is discrete.  For example, the current
flowing along a wire is not a continuous value, because it's actually the
flow of individual electrons, each with a fixed charge.  And since all
neurotransmitters consist of individual molecules, perhaps the brain is also
really a discrete system.
  That's not to say that it's not a very fine-grained one, though, that would
be very difficult to model.  But if it were an easy problem, it wouldn't be
quite as enjoyable to work on.
--scott

jeg@ZYX.SE (Jan-Erik Gustavsson) (03/25/91)

I apologize if this is the wrong forum but...

Could someone please provide me with the e-mail address to professor
Rawls at Harvard University (probably at the philosophy department).

Jan-Erik Gustavsson, ZYX Sweden AB, Styrmansgatan 6, 114 54 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone:+46-8-6653205            Fax:+46-8-6674831            E-mail:jeg@zyx.se

maxwebb@ogicse.ogi.edu (Max G. Webb) (03/27/91)

>One thing that has always bothered me about the comparison between
>computers and brains is that (most) computers are finite state machines,
>while it is not obvious to me that brains are.  It is well known that
>mathematical modelling of continuous systems on disctrete lattices
>will miss some classes of solutions entirely, so I have trouble following
>the arguments based on analogies between computers and brains.  Can someone
>out there shed some light on this for me?

The 'apparent' continuity in the response of neurons is not too
relevant, due to the low precision in the device. Whatever each
neuron is computing, it is not computing it to 32 bits accuracy!

Having infinite precision in one number is equivalent in power
to having infinite # of (sequentially accessible) bits of memory.
(of course)

Hence, discrete devices should have no problem simulating such
neurons. Simply set the smallest delta between two numbers in
your representation to 1/2 the relative inaccuracy of the neuron
between two different presentations of the same stimuli.

	Max.
--
Max Webb 	| maxwebb@cse.ogi.edu

kolen-j@retina.cis.ohio-state.edu (john kolen) (03/29/91)

>One thing that has always bothered me about the comparison between
>computers and brains is that (most) computers are finite state machines,
>while it is not obvious to me that brains are.  It is well known that

Computers are discrete systems until they encounter environmental factors which
interact with them at a physical level.  Radiation is one such factor, while
heat is another.  Each can change the behavior of the system in unpredictable
ways.  Designers add in shielding, cooling fans, redundant parts, to prevent
such occurences.  A stupendous effort is expended to build computers so they
behave as discrete systems, but it is not apparent that nature went to such
extremes.  Rather, it exploited the natural state-like properties of
continuous dynamical systems.  By changing from one attractor to another,
state-like behavior can be obtained.  This method does entrench a particular
type of attractor, i.e. the attractors can be fixed points, limit cycles, or
strange (chaotic) attractors, all that is necessary is some way to uniquely
identify them.

John

--
John Kolen (kolen-j@cis.ohio-state.edu)|computer science - n. A field of study
Laboratory for AI Research             |somewhere between numerology and

magi@utu.fi (Marko Gronroos) (03/29/91)

maxwebb@ogicse.ogi.edu (Max G. Webb) said:
> The 'apparent' continuity in the response of neurons is not too
> relevant, due to the low precision in the device. Whatever each
> neuron is computing, it is not computing it to 32 bits accuracy!

32 bits? Integer? Not floating point?
  How about sight? You can see the Sun, which is -27 magnitudes, and a
galaxy that is +6 magnitudes. The brigthness difference is 32
magnitudes ==> approx. 10^13 ==> 10 000 000 000 000.  32 bits is only
4 294 967 296.
  Ok, ok, neurons don't fire 10 000 000 000 000 times as fast when
watching the Sun than when watching a star, but this is just an example
of dangers of using fixed-range numbers. How about using floats??
  What happends if you put your fancy CCD-camera in direct sunlight?
Your Cray blows up? :-)

> Having infinite precision in one number is equivalent in power
> to having infinite # of (sequentially accessible) bits of memory.
> (of course)

Yes, of course! What a scientific breakthrough! WOW! But exactly
becouse of this they use a rotated '8' - symbol in mathematics and
exponents for smaller numbers. B->

> Hence, discrete devices should have no problem simulating such
> neurons.

ARGH! Not again! There is a BIG difference between discrete in
quantity and discrete in time/space, computers are f*cking discrete in
time/space!!!!!!!

> Simply set the smallest delta between two numbers in
> your representation to 1/2 the relative inaccuracy of the neuron
> between two different presentations of the same stimuli.

  How can you assume that we would have the same accuracy (smallest
delta) in the first (test) and the second (actual use)
representation/simulation? Why represent the same stimuli to the both
simulations if the first one already has processed it? I can
understand why someone wants to run speed tests in computers, but
this sounds suspicious...
  Did I understand your message clearly or why does it sound so suspicious?

Sorry about flames, but I'm sorry if I misunderstood you (hopefully...).

Marko Gronroos           ! Tel. +358-21-445613 !
Karvataskunkatu 10 H 100 !                     ! Computer Scientists do it
20610 Turku              !                     ! with bigger hardware.
Finland                  !                     !

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (04/08/91)

In article an article DOCTORJ@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Jon J Thaler) writes:
<One thing that has always bothered me about the comparison between
<computers and brains is that (most) computers are finite state machines,
<while it is not obvious to me that brains are.

In my biologist persona, I rather tend to disagree.  The brain appears to
me to be quite discrete.  It is simply not *binary*.  Why you ask?
Let me preset a few simple facts about neurotransmission.
1.  Firing of a neuron is an all or none response.  There is no such thing
    as weak or strong signals.

2.  A neuron may only fire up to a certain maximum rate, due to a refractory
    period after each firing.

Thus the behavior of a neuron is in fact directly mappable onto a discrete
system.  As near as I can make out from my reading on the subject a single
neuron encodes its data in *unary* rather than binary.

<  It is well known that
<mathematical modelling of continuous systems on disctrete lattices
<will miss some classes of solutions entirely, so I have trouble following
<the arguments based on analogies between computers and brains.  Can someone
<out there shed some light on this for me?

As near as I can tell all relevent properties of neurons can be adequately
modeled by discrete mathematics.
--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (04/11/91)

In article <MAGI.91Mar28191353@polaris.utu.fi> magi@utu.fi (Marko Gronroos) writes:
>32 bits? Integer? Not floating point?
>  How about sight? You can see the Sun, which is -27 magnitudes, and a
>galaxy that is +6 magnitudes. The brigthness difference is 32
>magnitudes ==> approx. 10^13 ==> 10 000 000 000 000.  32 bits is only
>4 294 967 296.
>  Ok, ok, neurons don't fire 10 000 000 000 000 times as fast when
>watching the Sun than when watching a star, but this is just an example
>of dangers of using fixed-range numbers. How about using floats??

This is an invalid argument.  It is easily established that human sensitivity
to light (and to most other stimuli) is *logarithmic* is nature.  This is
why the magnitude scale is logarithmic.  Thus the brain hardly needs to encode
such large 'values' as 10,000,000,000,000, it need only encode, say 13 (or
perhaps 27).  And indeed this appears to be what it does, the values I suggested
fall within the observed range of variation in firing rate of neurons.
Thus it appears that a single *byte* would be sufficient to encode the data
transfered by a single neuron!

Essentially the brain seems to use about one digit of mantissa and about three
or four digits of exponent.  A sort of 'short float' format.

>Yes, of course! What a scientific breakthrough! WOW! But exactly
>becouse of this they use a rotated '8' - symbol in mathematics and
>exponents for smaller numbers. B->

Quite, and this is also essentially what a neuron does.  Each neuron has a
resting firing rate that could be said to represent an exponent of zero, with
a depressed rate representing a negative exopnent and an increased representing
a positive exponent.  The maximum firing rate, determined by the refractory
period of the neuron, represents machine infinity (i.e. MAXVALUE)
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)