[comp.ai.philosophy] Pseudo-machine

jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (JONES, THOMAS) (05/15/91)

Several writers have mentioned the idea of putting *all possible* English
conversations in memory.  Then the sentences can be retrieved, one by one.
The question now arises: Is this entity intelligent?

I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory
for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
such a device would be radically impossible.

Tom

nrasch@cs.ruu.nl (Menno Rasch) (05/16/91)

In <5329@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (JONES, THOMAS) writes:

>Several writers have mentioned the idea of putting *all possible* English
>conversations in memory.  Then the sentences can be retrieved, one by one.
>The question now arises: Is this entity intelligent?
>
>I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
>that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory
>for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
>such a device would be radically impossible.
>
>Tom

You are right.... But IF......
(fhilosophy remember???)

christo@psych.toronto.edu (Christopher Green) (05/16/91)

>In <5329@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (JONES, THOMAS) writes:
>
>>Several writers have mentioned the idea of putting *all possible* English
>>conversations in memory.  Then the sentences can be retrieved, one by one.
>>The question now arises: Is this entity intelligent?
>>
>>I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
>>that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory

Where do you get all this old logical-positivistic jargon?

>>for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
>>such a device would be radically impossible.

This by no means renders it an uninteresting question. Consider, for instance,
the meditations on the behaior of point-masses in physics. Newton would never
have got going without it.

--
Christopher D. Green
Psychology Department                             e-mail:

jane@latcs2.lat.oz.au (Jane Philcox) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.133818.11606@psych.toronto.edu> christo@psych.toronto.edu (Christopher Green) writes:
>>In <5329@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (JONES, THOMAS) writes:

>>>I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
>>>that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory

>Where do you get all this old logical-positivistic jargon?

Is it jargon?  At least I understood what it meant, and I don't know what
"logical-positivistic" means.

>>>for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
>>>such a device would be radically impossible.
>>>
>This by no means renders it an uninteresting question. Consider, for instance,
>the meditations on the behaior of point-masses in physics. Newton would never
>have got going without it.

Did Tom say it was an uninteresting question?  I thought he  made a perfectly
valid, if slightly cynical, comment on the problems that one would have to face
in dealing with it.  What would normally be considered part of a discussion,
and a comment that I, for one, found interesting.

Regards, Jane.
--

           A programmer is a machine for converting coffee into code.

markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (05/18/91)

In article <5329@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
(The look-up table language processor)
>The question now arises: Is this entity intelligent?
>
>I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
>that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory
>for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
>such a device would be radically impossible.

Not so.  Almost all the information is redundant, hence a suitable compression
algorithm exists to compact all that information into a space smaller than the
human brain (which our brain is proof of).

This algorithm will convert the set of all utterable sentences into a grammar
(suspiciously similar to one posited for human speakers for some strange
reason :)), and extract information using an extremely sophisticated
decompression/retrieval algorithm on this grammar.

Using grammars, incidentally, gives you the ability to store an infinite
amount of information in finite space.  The size of the Universe is thus clearly
no obstacle.

The whole process itself, almost by definition, constitutes an intelligent
algorithm!

One thing you correctly note: it would be impossible to do the task otherwise!
Your point actually completes the argument to the effect that ANY mechanism
capable of storing the entire corpus of human utterances must be intelligent
SOLELY on account of the intelligence NECESSARILY inherent in any storage and
retrieval algorithm capable of handling a database larger in (redundant)
capacity than the entire Universe.

G.Joly@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Gordon Joly) (05/21/91)

Mark William Hopkins writes:
 > In article <5329@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
 > (The look-up table language processor)
 > >The question now arises: Is this entity intelligent?
 > >
 > >I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
 > >that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory
 > >for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
 > >such a device would be radically impossible.
 >
 > Not so.  Almost all the information is redundant, hence a suitable compression
 > algorithm exists to compact all that information into a space smaller than the
 > human brain (which our brain is proof of).

DNA also exhibits much "redundancy" (< 75% ?) in its 3 x 10**6 bits.
____

Gordon Joly                                       +44 71 387 7050 ext 3716
Internet: G.Joly@cs.ucl.ac.uk          UUCP: ...!{uunet,ukc}!ucl-cs!G.Joly
Computer Science, University College London, Gower Street, LONDON WC1E 6BT

                      No more pork sausages!

mas@blanche.arc.ab.ca (Marc Schroeder) (05/22/91)

Someone claimed that if you stored all the information for a look-up
table language processor, you would have much redundancy, and thus
could use a compression algorithm on it. The person then stated that
such an algorithm, which could comapct all the data into a small enough
form to be human brain storeable, must exist, because our brains, as
natural language processors, exist.

Let me say that this is hardly a proof, as purported. We have no
psychological evidence to suggest that our language is generated
by table lookup. I believe there is a quite a bit of evidence to
the contrary, infact.

Furthermore, although it is believed that ourbrains do encode
information in some form, perhaps "compressed" in some way, I doubt
that such a method is a vigorous mathematically based compression
algorithm, like the one on your home computer.

It seems more likely that humans do their linguistic reasoning, and
conversing, by generating the surface structure for sentences from
more basic semantic structures, eg. models.

BTW, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the case that the number
of strings in any given natural language is potentially infinite? In
that case, no form of compression is going to let you store all
possible conversations in a human brain (ie. although you can
construct languages, not necessarily natural ones, with a finite
number of strings in it, you can also create infinite ones).

  Marc.

richieb@bony1.bony.com (Richard Bielak) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May16.101759.1757@cs.ruu.nl> nrasch@cs.ruu.nl (Menno Rasch) writes:
>In <5329@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jones@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (JONES, THOMAS) writes:
>
>>Several writers have mentioned the idea of putting *all possible* English
>>conversations in memory.  Then the sentences can be retrieved, one by one.
>>The question now arises: Is this entity intelligent?
>>
>>I claim that we have a pseudo-issue and a pseudo-question.  The reason is
>>that you could convert all of the  matter in the Universe into memory
>>for such a device, without having nearly enough.  Thus the existence of
>>such a device would be radically impossible.
>>
>>Tom
>

>You are right.... But IF......
>(fhilosophy remember???)

It's worse than that. There are infinitely many utterance in English,
so matter in all Universes would not be sufficient.

:-)

...richie

P.S. I have a much better machine. It can predict the future, by
generating every possible page of text (there are *finitely* many
such things). So for example, one the pages my machine will generate
is the front page of the N.Y. Times on January 1st, 2000.

Anybody want next week's racing results?

;-)

| Richie Bielak  (212)-815-3072    | Programs are like baby squirrels. Once   |
| Internet:      richieb@bony.com  | you pick one up and handle it, you can't |
| Bang:       uunet!bony1!richieb  | put it back. The mother won't feed it.   |