[comp.ai.philosophy] Antipode of 'boostrapping', cogitos, etc.

silber@orfeo.Eng.Sun.COM (Eric Silber) (06/22/91)

Regarding various: 'bootstrapping'-problems, cogitos,
and 'symbol-grounding' issues, it occurs to me to wonder
about the other end of the temporal spectrum for a
'conscious' agent, viz. its 'death'.  'Mind',
a construct of the brain, coming to an end in humans
or in other conscious assemblages, poses a sort of
inverse realization-of-consciousness problem.

  -eric silber
  silber@orfeo.Eng.Sun.COM

dagmar@brainiac.raidernet.com (Greble Dagmar) (06/24/91)

silber@orfeo.Eng.Sun.COM (Eric Silber) writes:

> Regarding various: 'bootstrapping'-problems, cogitos,
> and 'symbol-grounding' issues, it occurs to me to wonder
> about the other end of the temporal spectrum for a
> 'conscious' agent, viz. its 'death'.  'Mind',
> a construct of the brain, coming to an end in humans
> or in other conscious assemblages, poses a sort of
> inverse realization-of-consciousness problem.

Hmmm... I would surmise then that we could define life (thinking) as
realization_of_conciousness, and death as lacking such... That transition
is the nasty point that keeps up from shouting with manic glee: 'IT'S
ALIVE!!!'  I have been puzzling over this for four days running now, and
I'm beginning to wonder if there's a hardware limitation in the brain,
discarding that, does anyone know of a philosophy book that deals with
the attempt to define realization (and specifically that)?  I don't think
looking at the problem front-backwards is going to help much here.  Maybe
a six-pack will be of more use?

  =  \:/  =  Save Mother Earth or Die! :  Greble Dagmar... Occult Theologian
  =_  :  _=    (This is not a joke.)   :...!uunet!mjbtn!raider!brainiac!dagmar