[comp.unix.xenix.misc] IDE drives

870646c@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Barry Comer) (03/02/91)

Does anyone know if the format done by xenix during installation will
screw up the low level information that exists on IDE drives?
later
Barry Comer

drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) (03/04/91)

In <1991Mar1.180233.5808@aucs.AcadiaU.ca> 870646c@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Barry Comer) writes:

>Does anyone know if the format done by xenix during installation will
>screw up the low level information that exists on IDE drives?
>later
>Barry Comer

I have Xenix System V installed on a 180-MB IDE Itama hard disk drive, and
everything works fine.
--
Jean-Jacques Drolet            |    Snail: 2631 boul. Liegeois, Sainte-Foy
National Optics Institute      |           Quebec, Canada, G1W 1Z5

root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar4.004458.12492@drolet.CAM.ORG> drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) writes:
>In <1991Mar1.180233.5808@aucs.AcadiaU.ca> 870646c@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Barry Comer) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if the format done by xenix during installation will
>>screw up the low level information that exists on IDE drives?
>>later
>>Barry Comer
>
>I have Xenix System V installed on a 180-MB IDE Itama hard disk drive, and
>everything works fine.

I installed an IDE drive.  I selected a destructive scan (wont hurt, nothing
on the drive, eh?).  WRONG  The system worked for a bout 24 hours before I
started getting tons of errors on the hard drive.  I had to install a new HD.

DO NOT SELECT DESTRUCTIVE SCAN.  You can, however, scan non-destructively.

root@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (03/09/91)

In <287@sporty.UUCP> root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:
}In article <1991Mar4.004458.12492@drolet.CAM.ORG> drolet@drolet.CAM.ORG (Jean-Jacques Drolet) writes:
}>
}
}I installed an IDE drive.  I selected a destructive scan (wont hurt, nothing
}on the drive, eh?).  WRONG  The system worked for a bout 24 hours before I
}started getting tons of errors on the hard drive.  I had to install a new HD.
}
}DO NOT SELECT DESTRUCTIVE SCAN.  You can, however, scan non-destructively.

Don't be silly.  None of Xenix's high-level operations, including
destructive scan, have any impact on the lowest level formatting of
the drive.  You should always scan destructively on a new drive to
make sure you catch all possible bad blocks.  If your hard drive
failed after 24 hours, it was because it was bad, period.  Not because
you selected destructive scan.

--Bill

n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu (Kevin Weller) (03/09/91)

In article <287@sporty.UUCP> root@sporty.UUCP (Super STUD) writes:

> I installed an IDE drive.  I selected a destructive scan (wont hurt, nothing
> on the drive, eh?).  WRONG  The system worked for a bout 24 hours before I
> started getting tons of errors on the hard drive.  I had to install a new HD.
>
>  DO NOT SELECT DESTRUCTIVE SCAN.  You can, however, scan non-destructively.

I think you had a bad hard drive.  I've used the destructive scan
several times (bought first disk, reorganized partitions once, bought
second disk), and I've had no problems.  I'm using Conner CP-3204 and
Conner CP-3104 IDE drives.

-- Kev
internet: n025fc@tamuts.tamu.edu                |  aTm  |  GIG 'EM, AGGIES!  |
CIS:      73327,1447  (but I rarely log on)     \-------+--------------------/
%SYS-E-BADOPSYS, Fatal system error, DEC VMS halting  / "And now for something
-SYS-I-GETUNIX, Replace with UNIX immediately!       /  completely different."