[comp.unix.xenix.misc] Altos 586 using a 2400b Modem

shawn@willow.MV.COM (Shawn M. Rogers) (04/14/91)

Hi,

I've got a client using an Altos 586.  I would like to provide support
via modem since their site is somewhat far away.  The machine has 1
port available (tty6).

According to the manual, the jumpers at location E-17 on the motherboard must
be changed from 4-6, 1-3 to 3-4, 5-6.  I made this change.  I then ran
'pconfig' and configured tty6 as a 2400 baud modem port.  The manual says that
the following command must be issued by root, which I did:

    disable tty6
    /etc/modem tty6
    enable tty6

The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.

Any help getting this thing working would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

scott@phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) (04/15/91)

In article <233@willow.MV.COM>, shawn@willow.MV.COM (Shawn M. Rogers) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a client using an Altos 586.  I would like to provide support
> via modem since their site is somewhat far away.  The machine has 1
> port available (tty6).
>
> According to the manual, the jumpers at location E-17 on the motherboard must
> be changed from 4-6, 1-3 to 3-4, 5-6.  I made this change.  I then ran
> 'pconfig' and configured tty6 as a 2400 baud modem port.  The manual says that
> the following command must be issued by root, which I did:
>
>     disable tty6
>     /etc/modem tty6
>     enable tty6
>

> The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
> The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
> modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.
>
> Any help getting this thing working would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

	When I installed SCO UNIX SYS V/386 Rel 3.2.2 I had to tell
the modem to answer the phone by issueing some of the hayes commands.
I will list them here as they appear in my sysadm manual.

	AT&F		Fetches factory configuration
	ATT		is Tone dialing
	ATL0		is low speaker volume
	AT&D2		sets DTR "2": goes on hook when DTR drops
	AT&C1		Sets carrier detect (CD) to "1"
	ATS0=1		Answers the phone after 1 ring
	ATS2=128	disables the modem escape sequence
	ATE0		does not echo
	ATQ1		in quiet mode (does not answer with OK after this command)
	AT&W		Stores your settings in no volitle memory

Now I cannot garentee that this will work for your system but this was
neede to make my modem work with the operating system. I belive that
all that you are doing with the enable command is setting up a getty
process to expect a login on that line (tty6). I have no idea what the
command is '/ect/modem'. If you store these settings in nonvolitle memory
with the modem and it does not work then all you have to do is
issue the command AT&F and AT&W and it will erase the configuration
that you just put in.

Please remember that this worked for **MY** modem. It may not work for
yours. I have a viva modem 24 external. Please check the modem manual
against the setting that where explained above.

hope this helps.

Scott

jeffs@bcs800.UUCP (Jeff Smith) (04/16/91)

In <233@willow.MV.COM> shawn@willow.MV.COM (Shawn M. Rogers) writes:

>    disable tty6
>    /etc/modem tty6
>    enable tty6

>The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
>The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
>modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.

I have had similar problems running a modem from my altos 486.  The
ports didn't need any pins changed, but a null modem adapter on a regular
terminal port (2-5) is all it took.  after connecting the modem on the
port, (tty5 for me) with the null modem adapter, run pconfig and tell it
that it has a modem on the line at 2400.  pconfig will put /etc/modem
tty5 in the /etc/rc file and will enable the port (actually all the ports ;-<)
when you leave pconfig.  the modem seems to work fine with that setup.
I did have some problems though after a while, the modem stopped answering
the phone.  It picked up, but immediately hung up the phone.  I changed
to always having dcd hi on the line and it seemed to work alright.

hope this helps!
jeffs
--
Jeff Smith               | #include <stdDisclaimer.h>
Brock Control Systems    | uucp: ...!gatech!emory!bcs800!jeffs
                         | internet: jeffs%bcs800.uucp@mathcs.emory.edu
tel: +800 444 3070       | -All my life I said I wanted to be someone...

rickt@wybbs.mi.org (Rick Tucker ) (04/18/91)

In article <233@willow.MV.COM> shawn@willow.MV.COM (Shawn M. Rogers) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've got a client using an Altos 586.  I would like to provide support
>via modem since their site is somewhat far away.  The machine has 1
>port available (tty6).
>
>According to the manual, the jumpers at location E-17 on the motherboard must
>be changed from 4-6, 1-3 to 3-4, 5-6.  I made this change.  I then ran
>'pconfig' and configured tty6 as a 2400 baud modem port.  The manual says that
>the following command must be issued by root, which I did:
>
>    disable tty6
>    /etc/modem tty6
>    enable tty6
>
>The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
>The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
>modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.
>
>Any help getting this thing working would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Why can't you move one of their printers to port 6 and then use the free
port for your modem?

I have run into two problems with Altos 586/986 boxes in the past dealing
with modems.
1) There is a bug in some versions of the xenix where the ttys
file gets an incorrect character telling it what the baud rate is.
the ttys line for 2400 will look like:  1qtty6
when if fact it should look like        16tty6
Note there are also two recommended wiring diagrams for altos 586
connected to modems.
Type 1 modem (async)
Altos		modem
25db		25db
1	-	1
2	<<-	3
3	->>	2
4	<<-	8
5	->>	4
6	->>	20
7	-	7
8 -----+	5  not used

20  <<-+	6  not used
----------------------------
----------------------------
Type 3 nullmodem
Altos		modem
25db		25db
1	-	1
2	<<-	3
3	->>	2
4-<<---+  +->>--4
       |  |
5------+  +-----5
6	->>	20
7	-	7
20	<<-	6

I never really had much luck with the /etc/modem command.  If it is
only you dialing in, you might consider setting it up as standard
/etc/getty and
Note you might need a little shell file to disable /dev/tty6 and
then enable /dev/tty6 in case you lock up the port.

2) the other problem was that with *SOME* modems, the modem would
start answer not give carrier and then immediately hang up the line.
After many frustrating nights I found the following was happening.
Altos recommends that you set dip switch 3  on a US ROBOTICS 12/2400
down.  What I found was the modem was sending the word 'RING' to
the computer, the computer was then responding with login or passwd
and the modem would hang up.
I found if I set the dip switch up this did not happen.
Dip switch three on the US ROB is  result code display
                                     up is quiet, down is result codes
*******  DON'T FLAME ME HERE FOR APPARENT STUPIDITY,
IN THE OFFICAIL *ALTOS* SETUP MANUAL ON MODEMS, IT CLEARLY STATES SET

Rick Tucker                        |     ^^  T W I N   P E A K S  ^^
rickt%indcon@wybbs.mi.org          | "The owls are not what they seem."
uunet!4gen!indcon!rickt            |          quote from the giant.