[comp.sys.ibm.pc.software] Slowing Down Clock

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) (03/30/91)

I have a Compaq 386. Does anyone know how to slow down
the clock on these machines? I have some educational
software for my kid that I'd like to run, but the clock
is way too fast. I can't find anything in my documentation
that mentions this. Any help would be appreciated.

 -- Laura

bank@lea.csc.ncsu.edu (Belgarath the Sorcerer) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.185421.602@HQ.Ileaf.COM> ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:
>I have a Compaq 386. Does anyone know how to slow down
>the clock on these machines? I have some educational
>software for my kid that I'd like to run, but the clock
>is way too fast. I can't find anything in my documentation
>that mentions this. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -- Laura

    PC Magazine DOS Powertools (should be available via local bookstore)
has a utility SLOWDOWN.COM. Essentially sticks a "do nothing" loop on
the end of the timer interrupt - every clock tick the computer wastes

some time. Net effect - machine runs slower. I use it to play SOPWITH
on my Model 70.

    The program may also be available on any number of BBSs or via the
PC Magazine forum on CompuServe. The book (which is now in its 2nd
edition) is great, tho. Chock full of info and 200+ utilities.

    Normally, there is no way to directly affect the clock without
hardware adjustments, unless the computer is specifically designed

to operate at more than one speed (a number of clones are designed

that way, but not Compaqs, as I recall).

Dave "Belgarath" Bank
bank@lea.csc.ncsu.edu

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (04/01/91)

ltaylor@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Laura Taylor) writes:

>I have a Compaq 386. Does anyone know how to slow down
>the clock on these machines? I have some educational
>software for my kid that I'd like to run, but the clock
>is way too fast. I can't find anything in my documentation
>that mentions this. Any help would be appreciated.

There are various PD programs floating around that do this.  Look for
things like SLOW, AT-SLOW, etc.

Since you mention that you have a CPQ 386, you should be able to use the
MODE command for this.  Check your DOS manual.