[comp.text.sgml] What is TEI?

jbarnes@bgsuvax.UUCP (Julie Barnes) (09/13/90)

In article <BLARSEN.90Sep12090821@spider.uio.no>, blarsen@spider.uio.no (Bjorn Larsen) writes:

> In article <BZS.90Sep11225016@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>
> Anyways, what is the 'Text Encoding Initiative', and what are their
> 'conventions'?
>
> --
> Bjorn Larsen                University of Oslo,  Norway
>                                Bjorn.Larsen@usit.uio.no

The Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) is a project that is surveying
current encoding schemes for electronic documents and proposing
guidelines for encoding and exchanging texts.  It is/was funded by the
National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and was proposed by the
Association for Computers and Humanities, the Association for
Computational Linguistics, and the Association for literary and
Linguistic Computing

It seems that documents encoded for linguistic and humanities research
come in a plethora of electronic-encoding schemes and it would be nice
if things could be simplified.  One objective of the TEI people was to
develop a meta-language to describe current encoding schemes.  They
investigated the use of SGML for this purpose.

I recall an announcement of publications by the TEI people a couple of
months ago.  It may have been on comp.text.

Julie