bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (09/15/90)

From: dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman)
>     Is SGML the GML that is the "standard" text processing environment
>on IBM mainframes (called DCF - document composition facility)?  If so,
>the IBM manuals are a good place to start learning GML.

SGML definitely derives from IBM/GML but I've never seen both
documents. I would guess they're very similar but not exactly the
same.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

perrotta@pyrxbooter.pyramid.com (Paul Perrotta) (09/15/90)

In article <49908@brunix.UUCP> dkb@cs.brown.edu (Dilip Barman) writes:

>     Is SGML the GML that is the "standard" text processing environment
>on IBM mainframes (called DCF - document composition facility)?  If so,
>the IBM manuals are a good place to start learning GML.

IBM does not have a commercially available product that conforms
to the ISO SGML specs. IBM does have its own generalized markup language
called BookMaster. BookMaster uses the document composition facility (DCF)
under the covers, but the user doesn't know this.

The documentation for BookMaster is the best I've ever seen from IBM. It is
clear, well written, and relevant. I, too, would recommend reading the
User Guide to start learning GML concepts.

It is my understanding that IBM's BookMaster will conform to SGML specs
in some later release.

Paul Perrotta
Pyramid Technology