[comp.text.sgml] trans atlantic match?

icapon@registry.adelaide.edu.au (Nick Capon) (09/25/90)

I am a beginner with SGML, so I searched the local library. This generated
a Research Report by Joan Smith  "Guidelines for Authors"  dated 1987 ,
ISBN 0 7123-3112-3. It is a publication of the British National Library
and it is not clear whetherthe material described has or has not become a
standard.

Is this identical or at least compatible with the guidelines put out by
publishers in the USA and recently mentioned in this group? If not, which
is the more widely used??

Is there a more recent version?

tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) (09/26/90)

In <1507@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> icapon@registry.adelaide.edu.au (Nick Capon) writes:

>I am a beginner with SGML, so I searched the local library. This generated
>a Research Report by Joan Smith  "Guidelines for Authors"  dated 1987 ,
>ISBN 0 7123-3112-3. It is a publication of the British National Library
>and it is not clear whetherthe material described has or has not become a
>standard.

It would be nice to have a short SGML bibliography
(even in SGML!).
For a subject that is going to take over the world,
SGML seems to arouse remarkably little interest.

Is there a PD SGML program?
I heard of one such some months ago,
but never saw it.
(I assume it would verify SGML input,
and give some kind of formatted output.)

--

Timothy Murphy

e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.121609.10328@maths.tcd.ie> tim@maths.tcd.ie (Timothy Murphy) writes:

   It would be nice to have a short SGML bibliography
   (even in SGML!).
   For a subject that is going to take over the world,
   SGML seems to arouse remarkably little interest.

See sgml.math.lsa.umich.edu:/pub/sgml/bibliography.  This is courtesy
of Robin Cover.

   Is there a PD SGML program?
   I heard of one such some months ago,
   but never saw it.

On sgml.math.lsa.umich.edu:/pub/sgml/nist/nist-sgml.tar.Z is the
NIST SGML parser which I picked up from swe.ncsl.nist.gov.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives

jwh@boston.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Howe) (09/28/90)

(Timothy Murphy) writes:

|> Is there a PD SGML program?
|> I heard of one such some months ago,
|> but never saw it.
|> (I assume it would verify SGML input,
|> and give some kind of formatted output.)

All the parser does is determine if a document meets the criteria specified in
an SGML Document Type Definition.  A generic parser would have trouble
producing
formatted output because SGML markup does not specify format.  You
could, however,
incorporate the parser in another program which would understand a specific DTD
and could produce a formatted document from the input.  The key thing to
remember
about SGML markup is that it is not like TROFF,  SGML only defines structure,
not appearance.

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh@ifs.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!ifs.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943