[comp.text.sgml] a new music standard

Aaaargh!

Sorry about this; I gave a wrong newsgroup name and my news posting software
bought off on it.  The group is comp.text.sgml, not comp.std.sgml.  Mea culpa.
                                     ^^^^

xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:
>[...]

>> Now over in rec.music they are talking about a standard based on  SDML
>> (Standard ???? Markup Language).  This  would  represent  scores  only
>> (from what I can gather from following threads), there would  need  to
>> be an extension for instruments if we wanted to encapsulate all  parts
>> necessary  to  play  a  song.

>Probably  that's   SGML,   Standard   Generalized   Markup  Language,  a
>meta-standard for describing standards for capturing  the  structure  of
>complex documents (a music score certainly qualifies); there  is  a  new
>newsgroup comp.std.sgml; its a shame none of  the  rec.music  discussion

                ^^^text

>has been cross-posted there; the sgml  experts  live  in  comp.std.sgml.

                                                                ^^^text

>This one is cross-posted; at least the  groups  will  be  aware  of  one
>another  now.  Please  correct  the  newsgroup  line  in  followups.

>>  Are there any good books out there on the "mechanics" of music.

>I forget the exact title, but there is a refereed journal  of  computers
>and music that is at least a couple of years old  where  this  stuff  is
>discussed  in  enough  detail  to  get  a  hacker  salivating.

>> adam hill
>> hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu

Sorry about that; cancelling the original, not that it will help much at
this late hour.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.