[comp.text.sgml] RTF filters

cash@convex.com (Peter Cash) (04/12/91)

In article <DGD.91Apr11201903@bucsd.bu.edu> dgd@bucsd.bu.edu (David Durand) writes:
>In article <101690001@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> dex@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Dex Smith) writes:
>> In a discussion about filters for converting FrameMaker, Ventura, and
>> TROFF files to RTF, I wrote:

>> > Also, how easy would it be to eventually convert RTF files to SGML?

>> Here's an example of a gotcha':  Suppose during your conversion to SGML you
>> encounter a switch to italic font.  Is this element a book title, a
>> variable,
>> or simply an emphasized word?  Your SGML Document Type Definition (DTD)
>> may distiguish between these different types of elements, yet they may
>> have the same format.
>>  In short, converting from a formatting language to SGML is like converting
>>  an executable program into its C source code.

>   This is substantially correct, in that some information is almost
>always lost in a conversion from content-markup to formatting.
>However, RTF format has provisions for the use of paragraph level
>styles -- and these can be decoded into markup elements. One of the
>major annoyances with RTF is that the actual definition of the menaing
>of the format is "what MS word will accept/and-or spit out". Such
>conversion programs have been written -- but it requires care during
>conversion and depends on someone with good habits and an
>understanding of markup to create the files. Distinctions based only
>on format are harder to extract.

Good points. I plan to preserve structural information at least in
paragraph tags. I.e., each header level will have a unique paragraph
type. Are there any other issues I need to be careful about in writing a
filter that converts documents to RTF if I want to preserve compatibility
for a possible future conversion to SGML?

             |      Die Welt ist alles, was Zerfall ist.     |
Peter Cash   |       (apologies to Ludwig Wittgenstein)      |cash@convex.com