From: dml@esl.com (Denis Lynch)
Newsgroups: comp.text.sgml,comp.text
Subject: Status and availability of Quill, REXX???
Date: 24 Jun 91 17:06:20 GMT

> The latest issue of IEEE Computer Magazine has a very good article
> on a two-view text editor called Lilac. (The views are a WYSIWYG
> and a functional programming language, both of which can be edited
> and directly affect the other.)

> That article very briefly describes an editor called Quill, which
> is based on SGML and a format description language REXX.

> Can anybody tell me how to find out more about these things?

Quill is a research system built at IBM Almaden Research Center.
Unfortunately, I can't find any references to it at the moment, but the
person to talk to is Donald Chamberlain.  Call information in Palo Alto
& get the number at IBM Research.

> Do they still exist? Are they available (commercially or otherwise)?
> Are they as interesting as they sound?

Quill is  a very neat system.

> Thanks for the help,

You're welcome.

> --Denis Lynch, ESL Inc.

JR

ebm@corvair.almaden.ibm.com (Eli Messinger) (06/25/91)

Jonathan Rosenberg...

> Quill is a research system built at IBM Almaden Research Center.
> Unfortunately, I can't find any references to it at the moment, but the
> person to talk to is Donald Chamberlain.  Call information in Palo Alto
> & get the number at IBM Research.

I have forwarded the original query to Don.  I belive there are a number of
tech reports and publications available.

BTW, the IBM Almaden Research Center is in San Jose, not Palo Alto! (And
Don spells his last name 'Chamberlin').
--
		   Man Passes  / Dog House / Dog Sees Chin
	       Dog Gets Out / Man Gets In / Burma Shave (1947)

    CSNET: ebm@ibm.com / USENET: ...!uunet!ibm.com!ebm / BITNET: ebm@almvmd

bowe@osf.org (John Bowe) (06/25/91)

In article <875@rufus.UUCP>, ebm@corvair.almaden.ibm.com (Eli Messinger) writes:
|> Jonathan Rosenberg...
|>
|> > Quill is a research system built at IBM Almaden Research Center.
|> > Unfortunately, I can't find any references to it at the moment, but the
|> > person to talk to is Donald Chamberlain.  Call information in Palo Alto
|> > & get the number at IBM Research.

I have a reprint of a paper about it from IEEE Comp Soc Press in front of me:

	Quill: An Extensible System for Editing Documents of Mixed Type
	by Donald D. Chamberlin, et al.
	reprinted from Proceedings of the 21st Hawaii International
	    conference on system sciences, Kailu-Kona, 5-8 Jan 1988

His address is:
	Dept K52/803
	IBM Almaden Research Center
	650 Harry Rd
	San Jose, CA 95120-6099

On another (unpublished) paper his e-mail address is given as "CHAMBERL at ALMADEN".  (I'm not sure it how that translates into non-IBM addresses.)

	-john

ebm@corvair.almaden.ibm.com (Eli Messinger) (06/26/91)

bowe@osf.org...

> [Don Chamberlin's]  address is:
> 	Dept K52/803
> 	IBM Almaden Research Center
> 	650 Harry Rd
> 	San Jose, CA 95120-6099

Actually, it's K55/803 now.  If he has an external mail address (and I don't
know if he does or not), it would probably be "chamberl@ibm.com".