[comp.unix.programmer] Character Based Windows

rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) (09/19/90)

We are currently in the design phase of a character based window interface.
We would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, but the curses libraries on
the machines we need to support are not adequate. We are willing to pay
for 'C' source, but a product that requires royalties would be a hard sell
to management. Thanx in advance.

	Requirements:

	1) Attribute control. ( Underscore, Bold, etc )
	2) Color control. ( 16 colors would be adequate )
	3) Boxes for the windows. ( Control of border required also ).
	4) Standard cursor positioning, clear screen, etc.
	5) Window selection, stacking, and hiding control.
	6) Capability to read a window internal map.
	7) Correct operation on terminals with magic cookie problem.

In article <382@ulticorp.UUCP> rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
> We are currently in the design phase of a character based window interface.

Just to give you a start, here's how pmwindow comes up to your
requirements. pmwindow is the poor man's windowing system, posted
recently to alt.sources. The entire code fits on a couple of pages.

> 	1) Attribute control. ( Underscore, Bold, etc )

Yep.

> 	2) Color control. ( 16 colors would be adequate )

Yep. This is all handled by the terminal, without interference from the
window system.

> 	3) Boxes for the windows. ( Control of border required also ).

No, pmwindow doesn't handle this. But you could easily configure it to
put in the border.

> 	4) Standard cursor positioning, clear screen, etc.

Of course.

> 	5) Window selection, stacking, and hiding control.
> 	6) Capability to read a window internal map.

No. pmwindow only supports two non-overlapping windows.

> 	7) Correct operation on terminals with magic cookie problem.

Yes.

(My point is that you should base your window manager on the terminal
sequence for changing scrolling regions, if it's available. This lets
you depend on the terminal for all the dirty work. Use add-line and
delete-line otherwise or if you want better control. If you don't scroll
at close to the terminal's natural speed, people won't use your system.)

---Dan

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (09/19/90)

In article <382@ulticorp.UUCP> rick@ulticorp.UUCP writes:

 > We are currently in the design phase of a character based window interface.
 > We would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, but the curses libraries on
 > the machines we need to support are not adequate. We are willing to pay
 > for 'C' source, but a product that requires royalties would be a hard sell
 > to management. Thanx in advance.

In most issues of Unix Review and Unix World is an add from a company
called Byte Designs. They sell a C-Isam package (that we have) and a
package they call W that is a windowing library "makes curses
obsolete" according to their add (that we don't have). $300 gets you
the source.

We've been using a package from The Oakland Group called C-scape. Also
advertised in the above mentioned rags. We've been using this on Qnx
and ms-dos, and have it ordered for unix. It is quite nice. No
royalties. Cost for unix is about $1000.00.

There are others.

-Larry

jtt@tct.uucp (John Tombs) (09/20/90)

We have been using Vermont Views on Unix, Xenix, DOS and OS/2 for some
18 months now. Its particular strong points include paired libraries
(development for full diagnostics, production for performance, for each
compiler) and VERY full, clear documentation. Strongly recommended.

Vermont Creative Software, with whom I have no affiliation, are at
802-848 7731.
--
John Tombs at Teltronics/TCT        <jtt@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!jtt>

philw@alchemy.UUCP (Phil Wilson) (09/21/90)

In article <382@ulticorp.UUCP> rick@ulticorp.UUCP (rick/1024000) writes:
>We are currently in the design phase of a character based window interface.
>We would prefer not to reinvent the wheel, but the curses libraries on
>the machines we need to support are not adequate. We are willing to pay
>for 'C' source, but a product that requires royalties would be a hard sell
>to management. Thanx in advance.
>
>	Requirements:

>	1) Attribute control. ( Underscore, Bold, etc )
>	2) Color control. ( 16 colors would be adequate )
>	3) Boxes for the windows. ( Control of border required also ).
>	4) Standard cursor positioning, clear screen, etc.
>	5) Window selection, stacking, and hiding control.
>	6) Capability to read a window internal map.
>	7) Correct operation on terminals with magic cookie problem.

try Vermont Views; I just got it and I know it satisfies 5 out your 7
requirements, possibly more.  Operation on sg#1 terminals is not great;
if sg#1 or ug#1 are present, it will only allow 2 attributes, normal and dim.
We have over 700 Televideo 955 terms out there (sg#1), and have made the
decision to use Views and drop the 955s. This is not to say Views doesn't look
good on 955s; it is quite presentable.