[comp.unix.programmer] Comm program with scripting language needed

rad@genco.uucp (Bob Daniel) (10/09/90)

I need a comm program with a robust scripting language that will be distruted
to several hundred sites.  I have 'TERM' by Century Software but it costs $500
per site.  I have 'expect' but it will not do what we need.  I need something
under $200/site.  I understand ProComm is on UNIX.  How much is it?  Anyone
have their number?  Any other comm programs out there with scripting languages?

Oh yeah, I also have XCOMM but the scripting language is too limited.

In article <57@genco.uucp> rad@genco. (Bob Daniel) writes:
> I need a comm program with a robust scripting language that will be distruted
> to several hundred sites.  I have 'TERM' by Century Software but it costs $500
> per site.  I have 'expect' but it will not do what we need.

Really? I find this surprising. If TERM is too expensive and expect is
too inflexible and XCOMM is too limited, perhaps you'd better explain
what features you need so that you have a chance of getting a reasonable
answer.

---Dan

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/18/90)

In article <57@genco.uucp> rad@genco. (Bob Daniel) writes:
>I need a comm program with a robust scripting language that will be distruted
>to several hundred sites.  I have 'TERM' by Century Software but it costs $500
>per site.  I have 'expect' but it will not do what we need.  I need something
>under $200/site.  I understand ProComm is on UNIX.  How much is it?  Anyone
>have their number?  Any other comm programs out there with scripting languages?
>
>Oh yeah, I also have XCOMM but the scripting language is too limited.

Several generations after XCOMM, there's XCMALT.
Scripting language improvements are but the least of its features.
I'm the "curator" thereof, and it's being dispatched to you even as I write
this.

----------

Once upon a time, Eric Coe wrote XCOMM; Larry Gensch wrote XCOMM 2.0; Fred Buck
enhanced it to XCMALT.
XCMALT is currently at version 2.9

I fixed loose ends, condensed the documentation, tightened the code. Put/take
now function, and allow an optional second filename for the target file. The
dialing directory adjusts to the length of your screen. Startup and user
scripts and the phonelist are sought in your current directory, home directory,
or a default library directory. Tty output is now unbuffered. Getty/LCK-file
support allow dialing out on an enabled line. The baud rate choices now extend
from 300 to 19200. More inverse video for error messages.
As before, you can:
	send a modem BREAK
	set 7-bit masking or 8-bit masking
	up/download using
		ZMODEM
		XMODEM/YMODEM (if you have rx/sz)
		CompuServe Quick-B Protocol
		plain old ASCII
	name your capture file
	toggle your capture file on or off
	upload from a file on disk
	dial from a directory of numbers,
		optionally using a script which can, for example, log you on
		to CIS, get you into a Forum, start reading messages or upload