[comp.unix.programmer] file magic number

haozhou@acsu.buffalo.edu (hao zhou) (10/20/90)

Can anybody out there tell me how to figure out the file magic number
on unix? If possible, can somebody post a piece of sample code?

Thanks in advance...

	-- HaoZ.

--
Internet:haozhou@acsu.buffalo.edu BITNET:haozhou%acsu.buffalo.edu@UBVM.BITNET
UUCP: uunet!acsu.buffalo.edu!haozhou

dave@viper.Lynx.MN.Org (David Messer) (10/29/90)

In article <41719@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> haozhou@acsu.buffalo.edu (hao zhou) writes:
 >Can anybody out there tell me how to figure out the file magic number
 >on unix? If possible, can somebody post a piece of sample code?

What do you mean by "the" file magic number?  Each file type
(that uses them) has it's own magic number.  Take a look at
/etc/magic (on SysV) to get some examples.
--
How can you tell if Bush is lying?   | David Messer       dave@Lynx.MN.Org -or-
      Watch his lips...              | Lynx Data Systems  ...!bungia!viper!dave