[comp.unix.programmer] decoding .bdf files

wolf@alesi.cipl.uiowa.edu (Mike Wolf) (11/21/90)

I have two files, standard.bdf and xconq.bdf,  these are supposed
to be X11 font files encoded.  How do I decode them?  The README
file with the archives says to smply do 'make X11fonts', but I get
the following when I try this:

(cd lib;  fc xconq.bdf;  fc standard.bdf)
sh: fc: not found
*** Error code 1

Stop.

What format are these files in and how do I decode them?

All help appreciated, thanks.

Michael
WOLF@MEL.CIPL.UIOWA.EDU

lush@EE.MsState.Edu (Edward Luke) (11/21/90)

In article <3276@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> wolf@alesi.cipl.uiowa.edu (Mike Wolf) writes:

   I have two files, standard.bdf and xconq.bdf,  these are supposed
   to be X11 font files encoded.  How do I decode them?  The README
   file with the archives says to smply do 'make X11fonts', but I get
   the following when I try this:

I have found that using the program 'bdf2snf' works as a font
converter, and then use the program 'mkfontdir' to include the fonts
in the current font directory.  Also use 'xset +fp <font directory>'
to add a fontdirectory for your server to access if these font files
are not placed with the system fonts.  I can't remember the
particulars, but I am sure the man pages on these utilities will clear
things up.

Ed Luke                                   Mississippi State University
lush@ee.msstate.edu

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (11/21/90)

wolf@alesi.cipl.uiowa.edu (Mike Wolf) writes:

>I have two files, standard.bdf and xconq.bdf,  these are supposed
>to be X11 font files encoded.  How do I decode them?  The README
>file with the archives says to smply do 'make X11fonts', but I get
>the following when I try this:

>(cd lib;  fc xconq.bdf;  fc standard.bdf)
>sh: fc: not found
>*** Error code 1

>Stop.

>What format are these files in and how do I decode them?

>All help appreciated, thanks.

>Michael
>WOLF@MEL.CIPL.UIOWA.EDU

Bdf files contain ascii data (bitmap distribution format).
They specify a font by including a bitmap for each character.
You can "compile" the font by running bdftosnf (which comes with
the X11R[34] system):

    bdftosnf standard.bdf > standard.snf
    bdftosnf    xconq.bdf >    xconq.snf

Next you execute:

    mkfontdir <dir>

where <dir> is the directory where you installed the .snf files.
This command will create a file "fonts.dir" with information
about the fontname->filename mappings.

After that you add that very directory to your fontpath:

    xset fp+ <dir>

If the directory already was included in your fontpath you can
replace the above line with a:

    xset fp rehash

Finally, you can check to see if the fonts are known by the X-server
by executing:

    xlsfonts | more

	Jan van der Steen
     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)