[comp.unix.programmer] Fortran compilers for SCO UNIX

rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) (11/27/90)

I'm looking for a low cost fortran compiler (probably a contradiction
in terms?) for SCO UNIX.  Does anyone have opinions on the various
ones available?  I'd like something that doesn't require a runtime
to execute the object files, and is fairly close to the language
standard.  I'm not really interested in the compiler manufacturer's
idea of enhancements or improvements.  I want something I can learn
with as I experiment and something which will be easy to port code
to from other systems.

As an aside, didn't UNIX originally include a fortran compiler (f77),
or is this a Berkeley enhancement?  If not, what happened to it and
why is it no longer included?

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
Roger A. Cornelius          rac@sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac

ndoduc@framentec.fr (Nhuan Doduc) (11/30/90)

In <395@sherpa.UUCP> rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) writes:
>I'm looking for a low cost fortran compiler (probably a contradiction
>in terms?) for SCO UNIX.  Does anyone have opinions on the various
I understand that most SCO sales bundle LPI fortran (and as far as I know
version 3.0 does not yet support Weitek) but I've tried MicroWay NDP that
work very correctly. If any choice, I recommend MicroWay.
>As an aside, didn't UNIX originally include a fortran compiler (f77),
>or is this a Berkeley enhancement?  If not, what happened to it and
>why is it no longer included?
yes, usually one gets bsd f77 (not very performant, but still OK) but no
longer now: vendors pushes us to buy 3rd software.
Me too, I believe having read somewhere that f77 IS PART OF SysV but ....

--nh
Nhuan DODUC,
Framentec-Cognitech, Paris, France, ndoduc@framentec.fr or ndoduc@cognitech.fr,
Association Francaise des Utilisateurs d'Unix, France, doduc@afuu.fr

In article <395@sherpa.UUCP> rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) writes:

>I'm looking for a low cost fortran compiler (probably a contradiction
>in terms?) for SCO UNIX.

For real low cost, you could get f2c (fortran to c translator) which
is free.

>As an aside, didn't UNIX originally include a fortran compiler (f77),
>or is this a Berkeley enhancement?  If not, what happened to it and
>why is it no longer included?

It used to be included.  Somewhere around System VR3 it stopped being
included in the standard software development system.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (12/04/90)

On 27 Nov 90 03:22:49 GMT, rac@sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) said:

rac> I'm looking for a low cost fortran compiler (probably a contradiction
rac> in terms?) for SCO UNIX.  Does anyone have opinions on the various
rac> ones available?  I'd like something that doesn't require a runtime
rac> to execute the object files, and is fairly close to the language
rac> standard.

I think that the best thing you can do is to get the f2c Fortran to C
translator, and use it as a front end to the C compiler, using a simple
shell script provided with it. It is quick, it implements the full F77
standard, and does an excellent job.

Of course you need a runtime library to execute any Fortran object --
and an extensive one...  Otherwise who is going to do IO for you? f2c
comes with a full runtime library too.

This little f2c wonder can be obtained by anonymous FTP from
research.att.com (or guest UUCP from Larry Snyder's BBS, if I remember
correctly).
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg