[comp.unix.programmer] PD full-screen editor?

mosemann@hoss.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) (12/05/90)

   Has anyone written or come across a public domain full-screen editor
for Unix?  It would be nice to have something that novice users could
work with.  Basically, they would type, move around with arrow keys, and
delete.  Fancy things like cut and paste would be the cherry on the
cake.
   If anything is available by anonymous ftp, please email the address.
Thanks.
---
Russell Mosemann                  Internet:      mosemann@crcvms.unl.edu
Network Analyst                   Bitnet:               mosemann@unlvax1
Computing Resource Center         UUCP:  ...!uunet!hoss.unl.edu!mosemann
University of Nebraska - Lincoln            and a few other places, too.

ewoods@hemel.bull.co.uk (Eoin Woods) (12/05/90)

mosemann@hoss.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:

>   Has anyone written or come across a public domain full-screen editor
>for Unix?  It would be nice to have something that novice users could
>work with.  Basically, they would type, move around with arrow keys, and
>delete.  Fancy things like cut and paste would be the cherry on the
>cake.

Try GNU Emacs and 'enhance' it via the .emacs files to use cursor keys
on your terminals.

>   If anything is available by anonymous ftp, please email the address.
>Thanks.
Loads -
	plethora.media.mit.edu	18.85.1.50   -- is a good place to start.

Eoin.
~    Eoin Woods, Software Development Group, Bull HN Information Systems,   ~
~                Maxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 7DZ                ~
~                   Tel :   +44 442 232222 x4823                            ~
~                   Fax :   +44 442 234084                                  ~
~                   < Eoin.Woods@hemel.bull.co.uk >                         ~
~          < When do we start news group comp.os.emacs ?  :-) >             ~

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec04.230834.4540@hoss.unl.edu> mosemann@hoss.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:
>Has anyone written or come across a public domain full-screen editor for Unix?
>Russell Mosemann                  Internet:      mosemann@crcvms.unl.edu

I believe uunet has the source for crisp.  And I'm sure someone will suggest
one of the emacs variants.

Dan

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (12/08/90)

In article <1990Dec5.093342.27395@hemel.bull.co.uk> ewoods@hemel.bull.co.uk (Eoin Woods) writes:
   mosemann@hoss.unl.edu (Russell Mosemann) writes:
      Has anyone written or come across a public domain full-screen
      editor for Unix?

   Try GNU Emacs and 'enhance' it via the .emacs files to use cursor
   keys on your terminals.

GNU Emacs isn't in the public domain, but it's free.  There are
several PD Emacs implementations, and a few other editors that have
appeared in comp.sources.{unix,misc} over the years.  Browse through
the archives on uunet.uu.net.

      If anything is available by anonymous ftp, please email the
      address.

   plethora.media.mit.edu <18.85.1.50> is a good place to start.

I can't tell what it is that's on plethora (perhaps some NeXT stuff?),
but the FSF developers have always released their software on
prep.ai.mit.edu.  If you're looking for Emacs, get a copy of
prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/emacs-18.55.tar.Z.