[comp.unix.programmer] Limiting a program's use to a specified group of users

dsrich01@b.ee.engr.uky.edu (Dave Richardson) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec12.143540.13834@IRO.UMontreal.CA> quennevi@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Charles Quenneville) writes:
>Hello!
>
>I would like to implement a password security in a program. For
>example, I want to put in a public directory a program for just
[remainder of question deleted]

Why not add the needed users to a new group in the /etc/group file, and
then when a (authorized) user wants/needs to run the program, they can
just "newgrp usersgroup" to run it.  Disclaimer - This is a SysV trick -
I don't know about Berzerkley and relatives.

Later,

					Dave
--
Dave Richardson	            \ UUCP: !{rutgers, rayssd, uunet}!ukma!ukecc!dsrich
  University of Kentucky      \ BITNET: dsrich%engr.uky.edu@UKMA.BITNET