[comp.unix.programmer] dynamic linking from libraries

bagchi@eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) (12/31/90)

	I'm screwing around with extensions to a language, and am
trying to incorporate a robust "escape to C" feature.  It seems to me,
that the best way to do this short of linking in ALL the C library
calls (gack) is to have the program access the various lib*.a files,
and at run time extract the needed function, and then call it.
	Problem - I have no idea how to do this short of some really
cheesy system() calls which would produce a temporary executable.

	I have been told that with SunOS (which I'm using),  there is
a better way.

	I'd appreciate advice, source code, anything...

	-rj
Ranjan Bagchi - At Large.  Well Kinda.  |  what kind of person
bagchi@[eecs                            |  would like to count syllables
        caen,                           |  just to write haiku?
	math.lsa].umich.edu     	|

emanuele@overlf.UUCP (Mark A. Emanuele) (12/31/90)

In article <BAGCHI.90Dec30131713@snarf.eecs.umich.edu>, bagchi@eecs.umich.edu (Ranjan Bagchi) writes:

> 	I'm screwing around with extensions to a language, and am
> trying to incorporate a robust "escape to C" feature.  It seems to me,
> that the best way to do this short of linking in ALL the C library
> calls (gack) is to have the program access the various lib*.a files,
> and at run time extract the needed function, and then call it.

how about using the libc_s.a shared library. or am I mis-understanding
what you are trying to do.

.

--
Mark A. Emanuele