[comp.unix.programmer] setsid

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) (01/23/91)

Greetings!

I'm trying to get the BSD released version of inetd working on my Sun386i
and I am lacking the libc call setsid(2).  I've been unable to find it
under the released BSD sources and was wondering if it is just part of
another file.  If not, does anyone have an implementation of this routine
that I could have.

Thanks!

--
  ..mitch

   mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262

   ``A system without PERL is like a hockey game without a fight.''
		-- Mitch Wright

lidl@eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) (01/23/91)

In article <MITCH.91Jan22152644@hq.af.mil> mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes:

>Greetings!
>
>I'm trying to get the BSD released version of inetd working on my Sun386i
>and I am lacking the libc call setsid(2).  I've been unable to find it
>under the released BSD sources and was wondering if it is just part of
>another file.  If not, does anyone have an implementation of this routine
>that I could have.

setsid() sets the current session.  New in 4.3BSD-Reno.  I doubt that your
system has got the slightest notion of sessions.  Sorry.
--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (lidl@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!lidl    | phrase the question very carefully. */

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (01/24/91)

lidl@eng.umd.edu (Kurt J. Lidl) writes:
>setsid() sets the current session.  New in 4.3BSD-Reno.  I doubt that your
>system has got the slightest notion of sessions.  Sorry.

btw: ISC 2.2.1 *does* have setsid(2). unfortunately the man page
is missing, despite beeing mentioned in the SEE ALSO section
of tcgetpgrp :-( any pointers?
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]:

>setsid() sets the current session.  New in 4.3BSD-Reno.  I doubt that your
>system has got the slightest notion of sessions.

It doesn't, although if SunOS 4.1 had been ported to the 386i and he
were running that, it would.  "setsid()" is a POSIXism, adopted by
various flavors of UNIX in the course of adding in POSIX compatibility
(i.e., it may appear before a system becomes 100% 1003.1-compliant).