[comp.unix.programmer] Ideas for changes to Unix filesystem

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (02/05/91)

According to sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
>And, yeah, there have been times when I would have liked to have seen
>a "round" file (i.e., wrapping around the end).

So create a circular file subroutine library that looks at the top of
the file for "maxsize,curpos\n".  We use one here; it's very handy,
and it's usable on all UNIX implementations with file/record locks.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "Most of my code is written by myself.  That is why so little gets done."

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (02/06/91)

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

> According to sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
> >And, yeah, there have been times when I would have liked to have seen
> >a "round" file (i.e., wrapping around the end).
>
> So create a circular file subroutine library that looks at the top of
> the file for "maxsize,curpos\n".  We use one here; it's very handy,

Yes, but then you gotta teach all the standard utilities to use your routines
before you can use them on those files.  Same kind of argument as Darren New's
about not having a standard kind of keyed file  and access method -- the
structure is "private" to programs written at TCT.

There are good arguments for adding "commercial" OS features to UNIX
if you're going to use UNIX as a commercial OS.  Balancing the arguments
for and against is not as clear-cut when you don't look at it from
any one standpoint.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

From the keyboard of ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo):
:Yes, but then you gotta teach all the standard utilities to use your routines
:before you can use them on those files.

Not if you use watchdogs.

--tom
--
"Still waiting to read alt.fan.dan-bernstein using DBWM, Dan's own AI window
manager, which argues with you for 10 weeks before resizing your window."