[comp.unix.programmer] Documentation on UNIX serial drivers

kobetitsch@picker.picker.com (harry kobetitsch) (04/11/91)

I would like to know if  there is any documentation out there
on how to write a serial driver for UNIX System V on a 386?

Has any body out written a serial driver like this?

Please respond at kozlevca@picker.com

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/12/91)

=
=Has any body out written a serial driver like this?
=
=Please respond at kozlevca@picker.com

There's a chapter in John Valley's "UNIX Programmers Reference",
MacMillan/Howard Sams Publishing.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr11.180853.1871@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <244@picker.picker.com> kobetitsch@picker.picker.com (harry kobetitsch) writes:
> =I would like to know if  there is any documentation out there
> =on how to write a serial driver for UNIX System V on a 386?
> =
> =Has any body out written a serial driver like this?
>
> There's a chapter in John Valley's "UNIX Programmers Reference",
> MacMillan/Howard Sams Publishing.

There's always the standard "Writing System V/3.2 Device Drivers" that
should be available from your O/S vendor, and the AT&T "Block and
Character Interface: Programmers Reference & Guide".  (I have them at
home if anyone want's the PEC or Select-Code numbers.)

I also have two books specifically about kernel innards and writing
device drivers (also at home), and notes from a tutorial about writing
drivers.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

dick@ahds.UUCP (Dick Heijne CCS/TS) (04/19/91)

Another book I know of is "Implementing Device Drivers", published by
NCR Inc. Well written, but off course some examples point to NCR's
Unix implementation (on Tower's, but not to specific versions).
It incorporates all sorts of drivers: TTY, Vitual Disks, general RS232,
I/O boards, general character devices (tapes and everything) and
describes all sorts of considerations to make in respect to bus-vectors,
various hardware specifics, memory and how to finally implement things in
the kernel.
Thru the years it helped me a lot.
The ordernumber of the thing I have in front of me right now is D1-0713-A,
but there might be a successory release at the moment.

Dick.

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (04/22/91)

Thus spake kobetitsch@picker.picker.com (harry kobetitsch):

> I would like to know if  there is any documentation out there
> on how to write a serial driver for UNIX System V on a 386?
>
> Has any body out written a serial driver like this?

Pick up a copy of FAS (Final Async Solution) at any fine FTP site near
you, and read the code.  Unlike the samples given in many books (eg:
SCO Device Driver Guide), this one actually works, _and_ has all the
bells and whistles.  In fact, you probably won't need to write your
own -- FAS supports 16550 UARTS, AST (and clone) 4-port cards, and
has flow control that actually works.

Paul Nash				   Free Range Computer Systems cc
paul@frcs.UUCP				      ...!uunet!m2xenix!frcs!paul