[comp.unix.programmer] sdb behavior

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) (04/26/91)

I have a program that dumps core but when I invoke sdb with the name of
the executable, sdb says "no source file."  The command line I used is
simply "sdb program".  Program was built from "cc -g -o program program.c".

What am I doing wrong?  sdb is from AT&T's Std C Devel Environment
5.0/3 10/13/89 for SV/386 R3.2.x.

Thanks,
Pete

--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.201206.12430@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I have a program that dumps core but when I invoke sdb with the name of
>the executable, sdb says "no source file."  The command line I used is
>simply "sdb program".  Program was built from "cc -g -o program program.c".
>
>What am I doing wrong?  sdb is from AT&T's Std C Devel Environment
>5.0/3 10/13/89 for SV/386 R3.2.x.

	I beleve that you must be in the directory containing the source
files, since sdb uses them for reference while displaying the details of
your object file/core dump.  I've not used sdb to any extent, but that is
what I remember from reading the man page for it.

	Good Luck
		DoN.

--
Donald Nichols (DoN.)		| Voice (Days):	(703) 664-1585
D&D Data			| Voice (Eves):	(703) 938-4564

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr26.203951.24025@ceilidh.beartrack.com> dnichols@ceilidh.beartrack.com (DoN Nichols) writes:
=In article <1991Apr25.201206.12430@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
=>I have a program that dumps core but when I invoke sdb with the name of
=>the executable, sdb says "no source file."  The command line I used is
=>simply "sdb program".  Program was built from "cc -g -o program program.c".
=>
=
=	I beleve that you must be in the directory containing the source
=files, since sdb uses them for reference while displaying the details of
=your object file/core dump.

I believed that, too, Don, but failed to mention in my original posting
that the source file, the executable file and the core file are all in
the current directory

=I've not used sdb to any extent, but that is
=what I remember from reading the man page for it.

I see: it's a nice way of saying "RTFM"!  ;-)

Pete
--

adk@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Andrew D Kailhofer) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr25.201206.12430@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I have a program that dumps core but when I invoke sdb with the name of
>the executable, sdb says "no source file."  The command line I used is
>simply "sdb program".  Program was built from "cc -g -o program program.c".

Being an habitual System V person, I've seen this sort of thing
before.  There are several ways that this can be caused, the best two
contenders being (1) you aren't in the directory containing the source
of your code, or (2) [and I believe this is your problem] the error
actually occurred someplace inside a library call or some such like
that.  You might want to try doing a 't' and seeing what the stack
trace says, if it says anything.  Sdb isn't really very smart, and
gets pretty confrused if pointers get screwed up, which is also one of
the things that causes library calls to blow up...

--------------------
Andy Kailhofer			Ameritech Services, Inc.
a907932@nast0.wi.ameritech.com  740 N. Broadway, Rm 430
414/678-7793			Milwaukee, WI  53202

rahim@cse.uta.edu (Khalid Rahim) (05/03/91)

I have question for UNIX programmers !!
I am working on developing a YACC specifications,
and I am not sure how to invoke a file from the
YACC code.  I want to open up a file and should
be able to read it from YACC code.
If any of you have done it before or worked exclusively
with YACC before, please do let me know the secret !!!!
Thank you very much