[comp.unix.programmer] parallel make for LAN

shgoh@leland.Stanford.EDU (Seow-Hiong Goh) (06/15/91)

As I have not read this newsgroup for a while, I am not sure
if this topic has been discussed before.  If so, please pardon
my ignorance.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are publicly
or commercially available parallel make programs for distributed
compilation across a LAN of workstations?

Thanks.

Seow-Hiong Goh

alan@cwi.UUCP (Alan Wright ) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun15.152921.28566@leland.Stanford.EDU>, shgoh@leland.Stanford.EDU (Seow-Hiong Goh) writes:
> As I have not read this newsgroup for a while, I am not sure
> if this topic has been discussed before.  If so, please pardon
> my ignorance.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are publicly
> or commercially available parallel make programs for distributed
> compilation across a LAN of workstations?

There are development tools that provide this capability. My company
sells one (please send e-mail to me if you would like info).

I wouldn't necessarily say that the tools that I am aware of are really
like make.  After all, if you're going to improve on make in one way,
you might as well tackle as many of make's deficiencies as possible.

By the way, we have been doing distributed builds (make's) for some 3
years now. I can't tell you how valuable this is. Besides spreading out
the load it can also allow you to build for one (or more)
architecture(s) while running on another, or to use tools for the
process which might be spread out over several machines.