[comp.unix.programmer] msgs program wanted

jik@cats.ucsc.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) (06/26/91)

In article <625@telxon.UUCP>, dank@telxon.UUCP (Dan Kelley) writes:
|> .include <bsd.prog.mk>
|>
|> bsd.prog.mk ??  My compiler says unexpected end-of-line error.  I'm confused
|> to what this makefile means?  Can any one help or send the msgs source that
|> I can work with?  Thanks much...

I posted this in April in comp.unix.programmer:

4.3reno comes with an enhanced version of make, called pmake, which deals with
directives such as ".include" and ".if" in Makefiles.  The standard
Make include files are in share/mk in the 4.3reno sources.  The sources to the
modified make are in usr.bin/make; furthermore, there are several anonymous
ftp sites that archive it (ask archie for "pmake").

--
Jonathan Kamens					jik@CATS.UCSC.EDU

In article <17445@darkstar.ucsc.edu> jik@cats.ucsc.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> 4.3reno comes with an enhanced version of make, called pmake, which deals with
> directives such as ".include" and ".if" in Makefiles.  The standard
> Make include files are in share/mk in the 4.3reno sources.  The sources to the
> modified make are in usr.bin/make; furthermore, there are several anonymous
> ftp sites that archive it (ask archie for "pmake").

More to the point, if you just want the sources that have always worked
under 4.3, and you don't want to bring up half of 4.3-Reno's programs,
libraries, and kernel just to compile one tiny little utility, grab the
real 4.3 sources from gatekeeper.dec.com. Blessed be whoever at DEC
decided to preserve this bastion of compatibility.

---Dan

pln@egret1.stanford.edu (Patrick L. Nolan) (06/26/91)

brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>In article <17445@darkstar.ucsc.edu> jik@cats.ucsc.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>> 4.3reno comes with an enhanced version of make, called pmake, which deals with
>> directives such as ".include" and ".if" in Makefiles.  The standard
>> Make include files are in share/mk in the 4.3reno sources.  The sources to the
>> modified make are in usr.bin/make; furthermore, there are several anonymous
>> ftp sites that archive it (ask archie for "pmake").

>More to the point, if you just want the sources that have always worked
>under 4.3, and you don't want to bring up half of 4.3-Reno's programs,
>libraries, and kernel just to compile one tiny little utility, grab the
>real 4.3 sources from gatekeeper.dec.com. Blessed be whoever at DEC
>decided to preserve this bastion of compatibility.

>---Dan

I just checked gatekeeper.dec.com, and there's no sign of source code
for msgs anywhere in the ls-lR file.
--
*   Patrick L. Nolan            (415)723-0133                 *
*   W. W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory (HEPL)       *