[comp.unix.programmer] Public domain database code

Frank@mindlink.bc.ca (Frank I. Reiter) (06/27/91)

> mike@bria.UUCP writes:
>
> Recently, a friend of mine purchased C-Tree from Faircom.  I skimmed
> over the documentation, and it looks thoroughly unattractive to me.
> Personally, I like gdbm.  However, it lacks one rather necessary
> item: the ability to fetch keys in sequential sorted order.

Have a look at NXTSET() or NXTREC().  One or the other should do what you want.

We've used ctree for years - I'm a satisfied customer.

Frank.
Frank I. Reiter                UUCP:  ...!van-bc!rsoft!frank
Reiter Software Inc.       INTERNET: frank@mindlink.bc.ca (prefered)
Surrey, British Columbia             frank@rsoft.bc.ca

mike@bria.UUCP (Mike Stefanik) (06/28/91)

Pardon me whilst I do a bit of public grovelling ...

Recently, a friend of mine purchased C-Tree from Faircom.  I skimmed
over the documentation, and it looks thoroughly unattractive to me.
Personally, I like gdbm.  However, it lacks one rather necessary
item: the ability to fetch keys in sequential sorted order.  Of course,
you could always load the keys insert them into a list, etc -- but
this would not be a workable solution for databases of an arbitrarily
large size (gdbm takes 27 seconds to walk through a 10000 record
database -- not blinding speed to say the least; requiring a user to
sit through a load phase this long is uncool.)

So, the question is: are there any other reasonably efficient database
libraries out there in the public domain?  Something ISAMish in nature?

Thanks!

--
Mike Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles -- Opinions stated are never realistic!
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards out of men." -Lincoln