[uk.misc] Wanted: Advise on a modem for my PC.

njm@cel (10/23/90)

I'm in the market for a modem capable of the following speeds / modulation /
compression modes: v21, v22, v22bis, v32, v42, MNP 5.  For space reasons I would
prefer to be able to fit the modem inside my PC-AT.  Having looked through
various brochures, I like the look of the Dowty Mayze 96 PC.

(Now the million $ questions. ;-))

  Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, of this modem?

  Are there similar but better modems available?

  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?

Thanks in advance,
		  Nick.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Name:   Nick Mann.               E-Mail: nmann@cel.co.uk  nmann@cel.uucp
V-Mail: +44 442 230000 ext 3537           ..!{mcvax,ukc,uunet}!cel!nmann

"Sorry to interrupt the festivities", said Hal, "but we have a problem."
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (10/23/90)

In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:

> I'm in the market for a modem capable of the following speeds / modulation /
> compression modes: v21, v22, v22bis, v32, v42, MNP 5.

Why MNP 5 ?  Or more to the point, why don't you specify V.42bis ?
Specifying  MNP 5 rather than V.42bis is probably a mistake.  Specifying
both might be reasonable if you absolutely need compatibility, though.

>  Are there similar but better modems available?

The one which comes to mind is the Hayes Ultra which *does* have V.42bis
as well.

>  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?

Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.
1) it can be damn near impossible to debug difficult connexions without
   the blinkenlights
2) Their serial interface is builtin, so
	2a) You are at the mercy of whatever serial chips, etc they use,
	    and its compatibility with the software you're driving it with.
	2b) It's a "dumb" serial interface, so you lose significant amounts
	    of CPU power if you're driving it at the kind of speeds that
	    V.42bis over V.32 can give you.
	2c) It uses up a whole interrupt by itself which you will curse
	    when you come to want to add more peripherals to the PC.

2b is probably only important if you are multitasking, and together with
2c, only a disadvantage if you ever exercise the option of getting
an intelligent serial card, and I suppose that's normally only an option
for multiuser PC applications.  But 1) is VERY important.  Don't underestimate
it.

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.063532.21901@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
   In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:
       Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal
       modem?

   Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.

Your list is a good one.  But if a laptop/portable user doesn't want
to lug around the extra box, cabling, and power supply brick, then the
convenience of an internal modem may become a more important factor.

For a machine that sits on a desk, get a good serial interface card
and a separate modem.  For a machine that hangs from a shoulder, an
internal may make sense.

pete@Octopus.COM (Pete Holzmann) (10/24/90)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>In article <6758@suns401.cel.co.uk> njm@cel.uucp () writes:
>>  Are there any very strong reasons for not getting an internal modem?
>
>Yes.  Many.  They are a mistake.

>1) it can be damn near impossible to debug difficult connexions without
>   the blinkenlights

But on a PC, there are freebie TSR programs available that simulate
the lights!

>2) Their serial interface is builtin, so
>	2a) You are at the mercy of whatever serial chips, etc they use,
>	    and its compatibility with the software you're driving it with.
>	2b) [Restating the same thing]

True! Although (2) below sometimes eliminates this problem. Seems to depend
on how the modem hardware is set up.

On the other hand, there are a few significant advantages to internal
modems, in certain situations:

(1) Cabling is rather easy [nice for novice users]
(2) [On certain modems] No hassles about hardware handshaking. The modem
    *knows* whether or not your program has grabbed the data. If you have a
    high-speed modem with end-to-end flow control, this completely eliminates
    the need for a fancy  serial chip.
(3) [Most important of all, if it applies] There are no power supply hassles.
    Your PC's power takes care of the modem as well. The nicest thing about
    a laptop is that it has a built-in UPS! Add an internal modem and you
    have a PC that won't go off-line when the power goes out. You also won't
    be stuck when you travel overseas. Rather nice.

Pete
--
Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises   |(if you're a techie Christian & are
19611 La Mar Ct., Cupertino, CA 95014 |interested in helping w/ the Great