[comp.unix.shell] Why does !!:gs/:/ / change only one colon?

rantapaa@cs.umn.edu (Erik E. Rantapaa) (09/06/90)

I want to substitute all the colons in a command line to, say, spaces in
/bin/tcsh.  However,

      !!:gs/:/ /

only changes the first colon.  Is this a bug?  Does anyone know how to get
around this?  While I've got your attention, I should also ask if anyone
has a better way to do the following in tcsh:

     echo "set today = (`date`)" > /tmp/.date
     source -h /tmp/.date
     !set:s/:/ /:s/:/ /

(note the kludge because the global sub doesn't work) but without calling
sed or writing a C program.
--
Erik Rantapaa
  rantapaa@cs.umn.edu

gorpong@encore.kent.edu (Gordon C. Galligher) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.030354.27810@cs.umn.edu> rantapaa@cs.umn.edu
(Erik E. Rantapaa) writes:
>While I've got your attention, I should also ask if anyone
>has a better way to do the following in tcsh:
>
>     echo "set today = (`date`)" > /tmp/.date
>     source -h /tmp/.date

Try:  set today = (`date | tr ':' ' '`)

		-- Gordon.