[comp.unix.shell] ksh for the suns.

antonson@software.org (antonson) (09/08/90)

Hi,

I would like to get ksh (Korn Shell) for both sun4 and sun3 architectures.
Is there any public version available?  If not, where else could
I find it?

Thanks,
Todd S. Antonson                    |
Software Productivity Consortium    |UUCP : ..!uunet!software!antonson
SPC Building -- 2214 Rock Hill Road |CSNET: antonson@software.org
Herndon, Virginia 22070             |

markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark Henderson) (09/10/90)

In article <1612@software.software.org> antonson@software.org (antonson) writes:
->Hi,
->
->I would like to get ksh (Korn Shell) for both sun4 and sun3 architectures.
->Is there any public version available?  If not, where else could
->I find it?
->
->Thanks,
->--
->=======================================================================
->Todd S. Antonson                    |
->Software Productivity Consortium    |UUCP : ..!uunet!software!antonson
->SPC Building -- 2214 Rock Hill Road |CSNET: antonson@software.org
->Herndon, Virginia 22070             |
->=======================================================================

Ksh is part of the AT&T Toolchest. A source licence for ksh-88 sells for
somewhere between $2000-$3000, I forget the exact figure.

Sadly, we only have ksh-i sources at Tektronix.  Ksh-i compiles relatively
well for the SUN modulo a few patches.

I recall that Aspen sells ksh-88 binaries for SUN architectures, as well as
a number of others.

Mark
--
Mark Henderson, Tektronix, Inc., MS 50-662, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077
Telephone: +1 503 627 6280  FAX: +1 503 627 5502  TELEX: 6503784996MCI UW

In article <1612@software.software.org> antonson@software.org (antonson) writes:

| I would like to get ksh (Korn Shell) for both sun4 and sun3 architectures.
| Is there any public version available?  If not, where else could
| I find it?

  You can order it from the ATT Toolchest. The source costs $2000, but
it's a site license, so you can put it on all the machines you have. It
compiles without problems on sun3/4, xenix386, unix386, convex, cray2,
stardent, encore, and probably a few I've forgotten.
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (09/14/90)

For those people who are poor, you might want to take a look at GNU's
BASH (Born Again SHell).  It can behave like ksh.  Sources are up
at many of the normal GNU archives including tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
and prep.ai.mit.edu for ftp access, and osu-cis for anonymous uucp.

Cheers,
Mark

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/14/90)

markh@squirrel.LABS.TEK.COM (Mark Henderson) writes:

>Ksh is part of the AT&T Toolchest. A source licence for ksh-88 sells for
>somewhere between $2000-$3000, I forget the exact figure.

As of early '88, when the IRS took out *its* license, cost for ksh-i was
$3,000, plus transmission costs ($.10 per kb). It's since been upgraded
to ksh-88; don't know if cost has changed.

It is slated to be included standard with System V Rel 4, and is currently
available or included with some OS implementations.

>For those people who are poor, you might want to take a look at GNU's
>BASH (Born Again SHell).  It can behave like ksh.

Well, *mostly* like "ksh", unless they've added support for "ksh"'s
EMACS-mode ^O character (the one that lets you conveniently recall an
entire multi-line control construct and reexecute it, after possibly
editing some or all of the lines in it).  If it doesn't do that, it's
not enough like "ksh" for me....

Ken Almquist's "atty" *does* support that function.  It's an
"alternative tty driver" - basically, a program that uses pseudo-ttys
and takes over the function of the simple-minded "editor" in the tty
driver.  He also has "ash", an "alternative shell" that supports a
basically S5R2-or-later-flavored shell with job control, but doesn't
support history, leaving that up to "atty".