[comp.unix.shell] awkcc

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (10/05/90)

In article <3802@network.ucsd.edu> booker@network.ucsd.edu (Booker bense) writes:
>- You probably have an older version of awk than the one documented in the
>book " The Awk Programming Language" by A. W. & K. . The one in the book
>doesn't come with most unix systems. You have to buy it from ATT. They
>also have a nifty tool I wish we could get which takes awk programs and
>writes c code.

I have that tool but have never been able to get it to work.  It
requires, I think, an absolutely perfect C compiler to compile it.  In
particular, it makes heavy use of the pre-processor and was instrumental
in helping me to discover several bugs in mine.  Unfortunately, I have
an Altos computer and you know what that means!
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us