[comp.unix.shell] tcsh $sl and $el variables

composer@chem.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (10/08/90)

In article <rhoward.654984151@juliet>
	rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) writes:
 >  Date: 3 Oct 90 20:02:31 GMT
 >
 >  However the tcsh feature, $sl and $el (for status lines), is not set
 >  by tcsh on my system.
 >
 >  Sun Sparc
 >  SunOS 4.1
 >  tcsh version	tcsh 5.19 (Cornell) 9/26/90 Patch level 1
 >  Running xterm under
 >  X11r4 (PL 18).
 >
 >  When tcsh starts it sets term, TERM, TERMCAP and a lot of others but
 >  sl and el are left blank.  Am I doing something wrong?  (The value
 >  of TERMCAP shows that the xterm definition contains strings for ts and
 >  fs.)
 >
 >  Has anyone had success using this under tcsh?

Back in March, I sent a patch to Paul Placeway that would set the sl and el
variable properly.  There was a mistake in the source; tcsh was looking up
termcap capabilities named sl and el, instead of ts and fs.  Oops...

The fix is included below.  This was made from tcsh 5.18 (BBN) 2/20/90 pl 0.

Enjoy...

				-jeff

Jeff Kellem
Internet: composer@chem.bu.edu

===CUT HERE===diff -c ed.screen.c{-orig,}===
*** ed.screen.c-orig	Tue Feb 20 14:41:09 1990
--- ed.screen.c	Wed Mar 21 00:11:47 1990
***************
*** 609,616 ****
      so = Mytgetstr("so", &area);	/* inverse video on */
      se = Mytgetstr("se", &area);	/* inverse video off */

!     sl = Mytgetstr("sl", &area);
!     el = Mytgetstr("el", &area);
      set("el",el); /* So it can be used in cwdcmd alias */
      set("sl",sl);

--- 609,616 ----
      so = Mytgetstr("so", &area);	/* inverse video on */
      se = Mytgetstr("se", &area);	/* inverse video off */

!     sl = Mytgetstr("ts", &area);
!     el = Mytgetstr("fs", &area);

christos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christos S. Zoulas) (10/08/90)

In article <COMPOSER.90Oct8000228@chem.bu.edu> composer@chem.bu.edu writes:
>Back in March, I sent a patch to Paul Placeway that would set the sl and el
>variable properly.  There was a mistake in the source; tcsh was looking up
>termcap capabilities named sl and el, instead of ts and fs.  Oops...
>
>The fix is included below.  This was made from tcsh 5.18 (BBN) 2/20/90 pl 0.

This patch will fix part the sl and el problem, but it creates another if
the ts and fs strings contain wildcard characters (This is the case with
xterm). So if you apply this fix, also make sure that the strings don't
get globbed...

christos
--
   | Christos Zoulas         | 409 Phillips Hall, Electrical Engineering,   |