[comp.unix.shell] Tcsh/Ftp problem

rganesh@omicron.cs.fsu.edu (nu) (10/02/90)

  I have a strange problem here.  I was using csh until recently and everything
was fine.  I switched to tcsh and ftp doesn't seem to work (ie ftp to a machine
which has tcsh as your primary shell).  Every time I try a ftp (both from the
same machine and from another machine), it gives me a :
 530 User rganesh
     Access Denied.
  I checked for the existence of a .netrc file and many others.  I cannot think
of any reason why a change in shells might cause ftp not to work.
  For those who think that is strange.....
  I have a the same version of tcsh running on a sun3-sunos3.5 and a sun3-sunos
4.0.3.  Ftp works fine to the sunos3.5 machine and not to the sunos4* machine.
There should be no compatibility problems since the home directories for users
are mounted.
  Any ideas?

Ganesh Rangarajan                                 rganesh@nu.cs.fsu.edu
System Support Group                              postmaster@cs.fsu.edu
Florida State Univ., Tallahassee, Fl 32306        ganesh@fsu.bitnet
Off: 11 Lov (904)-644-2296/7339

In article <9010021256.AA28358@omicron.cs.fsu.edu> rganesh@omicron.cs.fsu.edu (nu) writes:
>  I have a strange problem here.  I was using csh until recently and everything
>was fine.  I switched to tcsh and ftp doesn't seem to work (ie ftp to a machine
>which has tcsh as your primary shell).  Every time I try a ftp (both from the
>same machine and from another machine), it gives me a :

 Many versions of ftp look up a file /etc/shells.  This file is supposed to
contain a list of all valid user shells.  Ftp will not permit access if the
shell is not in this list.  (Actually it is not 'ftp', but the daemon 'ftpd'
which listens for network connections, which enforces this rule).

 This restriction is intended as a security check.  For example it prevents
using ftp on the UUCP logins.  But it does depend on your system administrator
keeping the file up to date.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (10/02/90)

rganesh@omicron.cs.fsu.edu (nu) writes:
> I switched to tcsh and ftp doesn't seem to work (ie ftp to a machine
> which has tcsh as your primary shell).

Some versions of FTP have a security feature that prevents people with
non-standard shells from using FTP.  This is so things like uucp
accounts and finger accounts can't ftp files.  Sometimes putting the
shell you're using into /etc/shells is enough to convince these FTPs
that your shell is standard, and things start working again.
--
Doug DeJulio
dd26@andrew.cmu.edu

ron@woan (Ronald S. Woan) (10/04/90)

In article <wb2=FAm00VI8I5SZRm@andrew.cmu.edu>, dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
rganesh@omicron.cs.fsu.edu (nu) writes:
> I switched to tcsh and ftp doesn't seem to work (ie ftp to a machine
> which has tcsh as your primary shell).
Doug> Some versions of FTP have a security feature that prevents
Doug> people with non-standard shells from using FTP.  This is so
Doug> things like uucp accounts and finger accounts can't ftp files.
Doug> Sometimes putting the shell you're using into /etc/shells is
Doug> enough to convince these FTPs that your shell is standard, and
Doug> things start working again.

Just thought I'd mention that in AIX 3.1, the permitted login shells
are specified in /etc/security/login.cfg.

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov (Chris Schanzle) (10/18/90)

rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:
> Many versions of ftp look up a file /etc/shells.  This file is supposed to
>contain a list of all valid user shells.  Ftp will not permit access if the
>shell is not in this list.  (Actually it is not 'ftp', but the daemon 'ftpd'
>which listens for network connections, which enforces this rule).

[The system is a Sun 386i/250 SunOS 4.0.2.  (please, no flames...it's what
they gave me to struggle with...)]

For quite a while, I've been having random ftp login failures right after
typing the username.  The connection would close *immediately* and "in.ftpd"
would dump core in the root directory.  Ftp would usually work right after
a reboot, but would consistantly dump core after a random period of time.

Most accounts use "tcsh" as their login shell, and /etc/shells pointed
to /usr/local/bin/tcsh, /bin/{sh,csh}, but some would work while
others broke.  Yech.

After updating to tcsh 5.19 and putting the shells in /bin, I copied
tcsh.519 to /bin and made it my login shell...hmm..funny, now ftp-ing
with my username dumped core.  Updating /etc/shells immediately fixed
the problems.

Moral:  Not all the same problems are as obvious to fix on some systems.

Iraq(){ xfer_territory(Iraq, Kuwait);		Chris Schanzle
	free(Kuwait);  num_countries--;		chris@suntan.ncsl.nist.gov