[comp.unix.shell] Bash and .logout : Are they compatible?

daffner@ecn.purdue.edu (Lawrence R. Daffner) (12/10/90)

    Does anyone know if there is a way to force bash to source the .logout
file on exit from the login shell. If it is supposed to do so, any clue why
it doesn't. I would prefer to still be able to use ^D to logout.I could alias
logout to ". .logout;\logout", but would ^D use this alias, or just log me out,
no questions asked?

                         Any help appreciated,
                         Larry ( daffner@ecn.purdue.edu )

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (12/11/90)

daffner@ecn.purdue.edu (Lawrence R. Daffner) writes:
>    Does anyone know if there is a way to force bash to source the .logout
>file on exit from the login shell. If it is supposed to do so, any clue why
>it doesn't. I would prefer to still be able to use ^D to logout.I could alias
>logout to ". .logout;\logout", but would ^D use this alias, or just log me out,
>no questions asked?

   Bash will execute the contents of ~/.bash_logout.    Put this in your
home directory and enjoy.

--
					/Bob...
{...}!rutgers!mende         mende@cs.rutgers.edu          mende@zodiac.bitnet

greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) (12/13/90)

In article <9012092055.AA04975@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> daffner@ecn.purdue.edu (Lawrence R. Daffner) writes:

>    Does anyone know if there is a way to force bash to source the .logout
>file on exit from the login shell. If it is supposed to do so, any clue why
>it doesn't. I would prefer to still be able to use ^D to logout.I could alias
>logout to ". .logout;\logout", but would ^D use this alias, or just log me out,
>no questions asked?
>

>                         Any help appreciated,
>                         Larry ( daffner@ecn.purdue.edu )

Try inserting the following into your .profile:

export LOGIN
if [ "$LOGIN" = "" ] ;
	then LOGIN="logged in"
	trap "echo logout ; . $HOME/.bash_logout" 0
fi

This seems the most likely way to do it (I assume that bash is GNU's
version of the Bourne shell with various non-proprietary doodads
inserted).

If my assumption is wrong, flames to my mailbox, please.
--
On the 'Net:  Why are more and more fourth-level wizard(-wannabe)s trying to
invoke ninth-level magic, instead of taking the time to climb the other