[comp.unix.shell] Where is David Korn?

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (12/21/90)

Being an only half-happy user of ksh-88e, I'd like to email some bug
reports to the author of ksh, David Korn.  People say to send it to
[...]att!ulysses!dgk, but I get the same results just by sending it to
/dev/null.  Anyone know what's going on?

In case you care, the two bugs that bug me are:

1 - A cd to the parent of a directory in CDPATH fails, e.g. if xxx is in my
CDPATH, then cd xxx/.. should take me to xxx's parent.  Many moons ago, this
used to work... Now it doesn't.

2 - The first shell command in a sessions fails to properly enter into the
command history file.  It's there, but somehow it's mangled by stuff in the
profile file.

Thanks.

--
Unix/C Library Staff, Pacific Bell, San Ramon, (415)823-UNIX (8649)

mvadh@cbnews.att.com (andrew.d.hay) (12/21/90)

In article <8425@pbhyf.PacBell.COM>, jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) writes:
> Being an only half-happy user of ksh-88e, I'd like to email some bug
> reports to the author of ksh, David Korn.  People say to send it to
> [...]att!ulysses!dgk, but I get the same results just by sending it to
> /dev/null.  Anyone know what's going on?

try mailing to david.g.korn@att.com or att!david.g.korn; that should
seek him out *wherever* he lurks.

i've heard that ksh88f is in the works, with bug fixes.  dunno what
they are...

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Ragged Individualist	| 	You just have _N_O idea!  It's the difference    |

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (12/22/90)

In article <8425@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) writes:
>Being an only half-happy user of ksh-88e, I'd like to email some bug
>reports to the author of ksh, David Korn.  People say to send it to
>[...]att!ulysses!dgk, but I get the same results just by sending it to
>/dev/null.  Anyone know what's going on?

AT&T has an email directory service.  I thought there would be sufficient
interest in this to warrant posting, rather than emailing to Joe.....

If you send electronic mail to "Shmo@att.com", one of two things will
happen:

   - If there is only one AT&T employee online with the last name "Shmo",
     your mail will be forwarded to him.

   - If there are several employees named "Shmo", you will recieve via
     return email a listing of all of them, with their email addresses.

You can refine your search by using first names and middle initials
<if known>.  You can, therefore, send mail to:
        Shmo@att.com, or
        Joe.Shmo@att.com, or even
        Joe.B.Shmo@att.com

DISCLAIMER: This information came from postmaster@att.att.com about eight
months ago.  This service worked as advertised at that time.  I can't vouch
for its current status.

--
    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan@engr.uky.edu         |

msb@hosmsb.ATT.COM (Mike Balenger) (12/28/90)

morgan> You can refine your search by using first names and middle initials
morgan> <if known>.  You can, therefore, send mail to:
morgan>         Shmo@att.com, or
morgan>         Joe.Shmo@att.com, or even
morgan>         Joe.B.Shmo@att.com

morgan> DISCLAIMER: This information came from postmaster@att.att.com
morgan> about eight months ago.

The additional "att." is unnecessary -- "postmaster@att.com" is OK,
just like the above addresses.

morgan> This service worked as advertised at that time.  I can't vouch
morgan> for its current status.

It still works!  Unfortunately, lots of parents named their kids
without thinking about the importance of unique identifiers :-)

Some additional help:

 o the directory search is case insensittive (i.e. "M.Balenger" or
   "m.balenger")

 o "." or "_" works for separators (i.e. "m_s_balenger" or
   "m.s.balenger"

 o "~" is some kind of fuzzy match (i.e. "balenger~") but watch out,
this can be a voluminous multi-match (359 entries, 99 unique last
names in this case -- matching such seemingly useful hints as
belanger, ballenger, bellinger, billinger, billingham, but also some
seemingly unrelated ones, too: bilmazes, blonsky bowling, blunk, and
blomgren)

 o /state=nj, /area=201 (as in area code), /exch=949 (as in phone
exchange), /ext=8789 (as in phone extension), /zip=07733 (as in postal
zip code), /zip=077 can be useful to limit the match if such
demographic info is known.  (i.e.  balenger/area=201, or
balenger/zip=077). Notice that zip being a prefix match is sometimes
useful.

Hope this helps you to "Reach out and grep someone"!

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (908) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
M_Balenger@att.com      Room 1L-405
msb@hos1cad.att.com     Crawfords Corner Road
att!hos1cad!msb         Holmdel, NJ   07733-1988