[comp.unix.shell] Bourne shell history

chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (01/10/91)

In article <316@audfax.audiofax.com> arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:

>I am pretty sure that all of these were in the System III sh.
>	redirection of input/output for builtins (e.g. `read x < /dev/tty')

This did not appear until V.2.  The V.2 sh manual has a sentence to the
effect that `now you can do redirection with builtins'.

Another thing new with the V.2 shell that I forgot to mention is the source
conversion from `Bournegol' to C.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``There's just no surf in
Network Services Group			  Cleveland, U.S.A. ...''

arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.215829.9890@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
>Another thing new with the V.2 shell that I forgot to mention is the source
>conversion from `Bournegol' to C.

And, boy, did it make a difference!  A quantum leap in readability and
maintainability (and therefore modifiability) of the shell.  It seems to me
that at about V.2 AT&T got serious, and went through *everything*, formatting
the C code, regularizing argument parsing via getopt, and so on.

I think it's pretty fair to say that AT&T concentrated on the user-level
stuff through V.2, while UCB concentrated on the kernel level stuff
through 4.3.
--
Arnold Robbins				AudioFAX, Inc. | Laundry increases
2000 Powers Ferry Road, #200 / Marietta, GA. 30067     | exponentially in the

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (01/11/91)

In article <317@audfax.audiofax.com> arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:

| In article <1991Jan9.215829.9890@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu writes:
| >Another thing new with the V.2 shell that I forgot to mention is the source
| >conversion from `Bournegol' to C.
|
| And, boy, did it make a difference!  A quantum leap in readability and
| maintainability (and therefore modifiability) of the shell.  It seems to me
| that at about V.2 AT&T got serious, and went through *everything*, formatting
| the C code, regularizing argument parsing via getopt, and so on.

I seem to remember that people were saying that the C version of the
shell was much faster in doing shell scripts then the Bournegol
version, though I suspect the real win was caused by not exec-ing test
and echo.  My .profile seems to do a zillion if's and such, and it was
MUCH faster using a modern shell (System V.2 /bin/sh, ksh, or bash)
than the tired old V7 shell (which Ultrix shipped as /bin/sh).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au (Boyd Roberts) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.215829.9890@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> chet@po.CWRU.Edu writes:

>Another thing new with the V.2 shell that I forgot to mention is the source
>conversion from `Bournegol' to C.

You mean `shellgol'.

Boyd Roberts			boyd@necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''