[comp.unix.shell] The 'tcsh' version of the shell

tmd@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Tom Davis) (02/06/91)

I have just started using 'tcsh' as my main login shell, because of a
WHOLE bunch of advantages it has over 'csh' -- for example, you just
use the up-arrow key to access your command history.

			However --

There are a few bugs left in it that I'd like to get some information
on [ and maybe bitch about a little :-) ] -- for example, there are
several bugs in the way it executes command scripts.

			  So --

Is there anyone out there who will take pity on a poor 'tcsh' user, and
either admit to being responsible for it, of point me in the direction
of him/her who is?

--
   Tom Davis                    Internet address: tmd@austin.lockheed.com
	"Imagine there's no countries; it isn't hard to do;

rhoward@msd.gatech.edu (Robert L. Howard) (02/07/91)

In <482@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> tmd@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Tom Davis) writes:

>I have just started using 'tcsh' as my main login shell, because of a
>WHOLE bunch of advantages it has over 'csh'......

>There are a few bugs left in it that I'd like to get some information
>on [ and maybe bitch about a little :-) ] -- for example, there are
>several bugs in the way it executes command scripts.

Why don't you run your scripts under /bin/csh.  You still have it
don't you?

There are certain other advantages (other than bugs) to this as well
(size being one).

Robert
--
| Robert L. Howard             |    Georgia Tech Research Institute     |
| rhoward@msd.gatech.edu       |    MATD Laboratory                     |

haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) (02/08/91)

  Better still, write your shell scripts to run under /bin/sh.  Tcsh is my
login shell as well, but all our scripts must be able to run under sh for
portability reasons.  Dec->Sun->Mips->???

ht.
===                      Harold Tomlinson                          ===
==             Computing and Communications Services                ==
=                        YORK UNIVERSITY                             =
=                  haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca                       =
=                   or haroldt@nexus.yorku.ca                        =
=                      416- 736-5257-33802                           =