[comp.unix.shell] ksh prompt

herrage@brchh107.BNR.CA (Robert Herrage) (02/28/91)

I have the following defined in my .profile:

  alias prompt="PS1=\"--> \`pwd\` <--
  hostname> \""

This sets my prompt to put my current directory on one line
and my prompt below it on the next line.  I also want to have
an alias (or something) for "cd" so that when I use "cd" to
change directories, my prompt will update accordingly.  The
problem is that when I alias "cd", ksh doesn't parse for any
imbedded aliases.  Therefore,

  alias cd='cd $*;prompt'

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (02/28/91)

In article <1772@brchh104.bnr.ca> herrage@brchh107.BNR.CA writes:
>I have the following defined in my .profile:
>
>  alias prompt="PS1=\"--> \`pwd\` <--
>  hostname> \""
Try instead
PS1="--> \$PWD <--

			Bruce Varney
			   The Grand Master

beckley@cbnewsd.att.com (Owen D. Beckley) (02/28/91)

From article <7079@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, by asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master):
> In article <1772@brchh104.bnr.ca> herrage@brchh107.BNR.CA writes:
>>I have the following defined in my .profile:
>>
>>  alias prompt="PS1=\"--> \`pwd\` <--
>>  hostname> \""
> Try instead
> PS1="--> \$PWD <--

If you like a one line prompt, try this:

PS1='${PWD#${PWD%/*/*/*}/}> '

I puts only the lowest three parts of PWD in the prompt.

			owen_d_beckley@att.com

nichols@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Scott P Nichols) (03/01/91)

In article <1772@brchh104.bnr.ca> herrage@brchh107.BNR.CA writes:
>I have the following defined in my .profile:
>
>  alias prompt="PS1=\"--> \`pwd\` <--
>  hostname> \""
>
>This sets my prompt to put my current directory on one line
>and my prompt below it on the next line.  I also want to have
>an alias (or something) for "cd" so that when I use "cd" to
>change directories, my prompt will update accordingly.  The
>problem is that when I alias "cd", ksh doesn't parse for any
>imbedded aliases.  Therefore,
>
>  alias cd='cd $*;prompt'

How about...

PS1='\!]$PWD>'

...works for me!

Scott
--
O-        /\
|\     /\/vv\

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (03/02/91)

If my records are complete, I posted the this article in December of
1986, while working for AT&T.  Then, with modifications in December of
1987, while working for Motorola.  Since then, Ksh-88 has been
released and I've seen quite a few articles asking to do lots of stuff
with the prompt string.  So, here it is again, modified for Ksh-88 a
bit and enhanced in some other minor ways.  If you are still using an
older version of Ksh, UPGRADE!  Enjoy!

A while ago [from the perspective of someone writing in December of
1986], there were several messages posted to Usenet which showed ways
to include various information into a Korn Shell PS1 prompt.  I
thought that a number of these were real clever and incorporated them
into my own environment.

Now that Motorola Microcomputer Division [now the Motorola Computer
Group] is selling the Korn Shell for our Delta Series of 68020-based
systems, I thought I'd share this generally.

Relatively little here is my own invention, but I can no longer say
who had every idea.  I did put a lot of work into integrating
everything together so that it would all work in a coordinated
fashion.  The time stamp stuff is from Korn.  The "autoload" stuff
[originally used] for functions (pshd, popd, etc.) as well as the
original versions of those functions is from a Usenet article by Avi
E. Gross in 10/84.  [This has since been absorbed in slightly
different form into standard Ksh-88.]  I have made some readability
and efficiency enhancements to the originals, as well as merging them
into the rest of the stuff here.  I pulled out the large blocks of
comments in Avi's original to improve the performance in my running
copy and keep the original intact elsewhere so I can figure out what's
going on.  As to the prompt-resetting code, I know there were at least
three different people (plus me) who contributed to what is merged
together here, but I lost the original Usenet articles.  Thanks,
whoever you are.

I've tried to put this is into a form that you can easily install into
your own environment.  I mostly did it to see if I could.  Since then,
it has proved useful enough for me to keep it as my normal
environment.

One could easily turn up one's nose at all this, if one really likes the "$ "
prompt, as this is about as far from that as you can get.  The normal prompt
when logged in and in your home directory is:	host: hh:mm:ss [~]
						nn>
After "cd /usr/src/cmd/vi", it is:		host: hh:mm:ss [src/cmd/vi]
						nn>
After "pshd /usr", it is:			host: hh:mm:ss 1: [/usr]
						nn>
After "popd", it is back to:			host: hh:mm:ss [src/cmd/vi]
						nn>
After invoking a sub-shell (ksh):		host: hh:mm:ss [src/cmd/vi]
						nn>>

The "host" is the output of the "uname" command.  I added the host
name to the prompt to make it more obvious to whom I was "talking" in
the face of "cu" and "rlogin" and windowing terminals.  The "nn" is
the ksh history number.  hh:mm:ss is the time.  As you can see, up to
the last three directories in your current directory are included.  If
you are in a subdirectory of your home directory, your home directory
path counts as a single directory and is represented with a tilde (~).
If you are using Shell Layers (shl), the layer name "foo" or number
"(n)" is displayed as part of the prompt, too.  If the uid of the user
is 0 (root), then a pound sign (#) is used instead of a greater-than
(>) to indicate nesting of sub-shells.  The prompt was split into two
lines because the escape sequences to highlight a non-zero return code
get counted as printable characters and so fewer characters from the
command you are entering are visible in the line.

Good luck trying to change any of it without breaking something else.
I am currently running ksh "Version 11/16/88e".

Even if you don't use this, it makes an interesting exercise to figure
out how everything works.  After doing so, you'll have a very good
understanding of ksh programming.

Ron.

--------- This goes in your .profile --------
#	environment for fancy prompt
export PSSHL PS1="!$ " FPATH=~/ksh

-------- This goes in your $ENV file ---------
# All this good stuff needed for interactive shells only.
# Guard it with appropriate tests for better effeciency of startup.
# Here's a good example of this:
#	case "$-" in
#	*c*)	# Stuff for -c, command line shells goes here.
#		:
#		;;
#	*)	# Stuff for for non -c, (interactive) shells.
#		:
#		;;
#	esac
#
#		Set prompt string portion for Shell Layers layer.
TTY=$(tty)
if [ "$TTY" != "${TTY#*sxt}" -a "${SHDEPTH:-}" = ">" ]
then
	export PSSHL=$PS1
fi
unset TTY
#
#		Set System name string for fancy prompt
UNAME=$(uname)
#
#		Set standout strings for fancy prompt
: ${SMSO:=$(tput smso)} ${RMSO:=$(tput rmso)}
#
#		Set up for time stamping
typeset -RZ2 _x1 _x2 _x3
let SECONDS=$(date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S')
TIME='"${_d[(_x1=(SECONDS/3600)%24)==(_x2=(SECONDS/60)%60)==(_x3=SECONDS%60)]}$_x1:$_x2:$_x3"'
#
#		Define the replacement for the "cd" builtin
function ch {
	if cd ${*:-''}
	then
		resetps1
	else
		return 1
	fi
}
alias cd=ch	# make it easy to use

function resetps1 {
	typeset _dir=$PWD
	typeset _dirt=${_dir#$HOME}	# directory tail
	if [ "${_dirt}" != "${_dir}" ]
	then
		_dir="~${_dirt}"
	fi
	typeset front=${_dir%/*/*/*}
	: ${front:=x}
	case ${pushlevel:-0} in
	0)	PS1="${UNAME}: ${TIME} ${PSSHL:-}${SMSO:-}\${?#0}${RMSO:-}[${_dir#$front/}]
!$SHDEPTH ";;
	*)	PS1="${UNAME}: ${TIME} $pushlevel: ${PSSHL:-}${SMSO:-}\${?#0}${RMSO:-}[${_dir#$front/}]
!$SHDEPTH ";;
	esac
}
# Functions related to push and pop routines
alias   dirs='echo "\t0: $PWD"' \
	popd='echo "You have never pushed any levels.\nYou remain at $PWD."'
#
#		Check for uid 0 (root)
id=$(id)
id=${id#uid=}
id=${id%%\(*}
if [ id -eq 0 ]
then
	export SHDEPTH=${SHDEPTH:-}'#'
else
	export SHDEPTH=${SHDEPTH:-}'>'
fi
# Set special colors
case $TERM in
mskermc)
	case $id in
	0)	color=37 ;;
	501)	color=31 ;;
	*)	color=35 ;;
	esac
	SMSO="[41;33m" RMSO="[44;${color}m[1m"
	unset color
	;;
tm229|tm229g)
	case $id in
	0)	color=33 ;;
	501)	color=37 ;;
	*)	color=35 ;;
	esac
	SMSO="[41;33m" RMSO="[40;${color}m[1m"
	unset color
	;;
*)
	;;
esac
unset id
resetps1

-------- This is ~/ksh/pshd, linked to ~/ksh/pshpwd and ~/ksh/poppwd  ---------
unalias popd dirs
integer pushlevel=0

function pshd
{
    dirsave[pushlevel]="$PWD"		# save the name of the current dir
    promptsave[pushlevel]="$PS1"	# save the current prompt
    if [ pushlevel = 0 ]
    then
	pushprompt="$PS1"
    fi
    ch ${1:-$HOME} 2> /dev/null
    case $? in
      0)				# "cd" succeeded.
	let pushlevel=pushlevel+1
	pwd				# show the current directory
	: ${2:+`ls -Fx $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 >/dev/tty`}
	resetps1
	;;
      *)				# "cd" failed
	print "Can't change to $1, aborting"
	return 1
	;;
    esac
}					# END of pshd

function popd
{
    integer levels=${1:-1}

    if (( pushlevel-levels>=0 ))
      then
	let pushlevel=pushlevel-levels
      else
	print "Can't pop that many levels. Your choices were:"
	dirs
	print "You are being returned to your original level"
        let pushlevel=0
    fi

    ch ${dirsave[$pushlevel]}
    pwd			# show the user where they are.
    : ${2:+`ls -Fx $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 $8 $9 >/dev/tty`}
    PS1="${promptsave[$pushlevel]}"
}

function dirs
{
    integer level=$pushlevel
    integer lowest=$level-${1:-$level}
    if [ lowest -lt 0 ]
	then
	    lowest=0
    fi
    print "	$level: $PWD"
    while [ level -gt lowest ]
    do
	let level=level-1
	print "	$level: ${dirsave[$level]}"
    done
    unset level lowest
}

function pshpwd
{
print $PWD  "${@:-}" >~/.current-pwd
}

function poppwd
{
print $(<~/.current-pwd)
}

---- start of pshd family documentation ----
# In brief, this routine is called in the form of:
#       . ~/ksh/psh-pop.ksh name arg1 arg2 arg3 ...
# and has to do the following:
#               - Unalias all five related alias names.
#               - Declare all five function bodies using those names.
#               - Run the function that invoked this file, using the provided
#                 arguments.

# The first time one of these aliases is used, it needs to be "loaded". From
# then on, each one represents a loaded function, and runs smoothly. The
# advantages are that your .env is about a hundred lines smaller, and these
# functions are only defined when used.

# The first three routines are used to maintain and examine a directory stack
# of traversals through the file system. They are:
#       pshd [directory] [ls-indicator] [ls-arg] [ls-arg] [ls-arg]
#       popd [levels]    [ls-indicator] [ls-arg] [ls-arg] [ls-arg]
#       dirs [levels]

# These are different than other versions of pshd that have been posted to
# the net. Both pshd and popd have an optional first argument that tells
# which directory to go to, or how many levels to backtrack. If a second
# argument is specified (any string will do) then an "ls -C" is done after
# the action is completed. Any additional arguments are passed to ls. For
# example, "pshd /usr/spool/uucp l -l -a -t" will change the directory to
# /usr/spool/uucp and then do an "ls -C -l -a -t" to show full descriptions
# of all files in that directory in the orer that they were last changed.
# The "-C" argument is used to force our version of ls to columnate the
# output (even if it is going into a pipeline).

# The next two routines are used to share information about the current
# directory # between two windows on a DMD/BLIT or just to save the value
# for later. Only one value is currently supported. They are:
#       pshpwd [additional text]
#       poppwd
# Poppwd is often used in constructs like "cp *.c `poppwd`"

----------------------------------- end ---------------------------
--
Ron Heiby mcdchg!heiby   Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix

--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Wrong is wrong, even when it helps you." Popeye

lvc@cbnews.att.com (lawrence.v.cipriani) (03/04/91)

In article <57517@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:
>#		Define the replacement for the "cd" builtin
>function ch {
>	if cd ${*:-''}
>	then
>		resetps1
>	else
>		return 1
>	fi
>}
>alias cd=ch	# make it easy to use

I suggest the cd in function ch be quoted:

	function ch {
		if "cd" ${*:-''}
		then
			resetps1
		else
			return 1
		fi
	alias cd=ch

so that a second ". $ENV" will not see 'ch' inside of function ch.

Why not use "${@:-''}" instead of ${*:-''} ?
--
Larry Cipriani, att!cbvox!lvc or lvc@cbvox.att.com
"Fight fire with fire, I always say" -- Bugs Bunny

dalessio@motcid.UUCP (Mario D'Alessio) (03/05/91)

herrage@brchh107.BNR.CA (Robert Herrage) writes:

>I have the following defined in my .profile:

>  alias prompt="PS1=\"--> \`pwd\` <--
>  hostname> \""
>
>This sets my prompt to put my current directory on one line
>and my prompt below it on the next line.  I also want to have
>an alias (or something) for "cd" so that when I use "cd" to
>change directories, my prompt will update accordingly.  The
>problem is that when I alias "cd", ksh doesn't parse for any
>imbedded aliases.  Therefore,

>  alias cd='cd $*;prompt'

To change the prompt using the cd command, I use a ksh function
and alias combination. Notice the backslash preceeding the cd
in the function:

	function _cd
	{
		\cd $*
		export PS1="${PWD}-> "
	}
	alias cd=_cd

* ************************************************************** *
* *                                                            * *
* *  Mario D'Alessio            Motorola, Inc.                 * *
* *  dalessio@motcid.UUCP       Cellular Infrastructure Group  * *
* *                                                            * *
* ************************************************************** *

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (03/06/91)

lvc@cbnews.att.com (lawrence.v.cipriani) writes:
>I suggest the cd in function ch be quoted:

>	function ch {
>		if "cd" ${*:-''}
>so that a second ". $ENV" will not see 'ch' inside of function ch.

Yes, that seems to be a good idea.  I never ran into that, because I
never do a second ". $ENV".  Actually, I almost never do one, allowing
ksh to do it for me as it starts up.  With the prompt string all this
gives you, it's pretty obvious that it has already been done!

>Why not use "${@:-''}" instead of ${*:-''} ?

Using the at-sign version ensures that if you pass multiple parameters
to cd, that the parameters will be seperated by space characters.  The
asterisk version uses the first character of $IFS as the seperator.  I
don't see that it really matters all that much.  Of course, if you
don't have a space in your IFS string for some wierd reason, then
using the at-sign here will leave you with your parameters lumped
together with space seperators that will not be interpreted to be
seperators (since space isn't in $IFS)!  I guess that's a pretty good
reason to leave this one as is!
--

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) (03/06/91)

In article <57993@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:
}lvc@cbnews.att.com (lawrence.v.cipriani) writes:
}>I suggest the cd in function ch be quoted:
}
}>	function ch {
}>		if "cd" ${*:-''}
}...
}>so that a second ". $ENV" will not see 'ch' inside of function ch.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE IT SO HARD?????
The $PWD variable changes when you cd.
ksh provides for another eval of the prompt string before printing it,
so all you have to do is quote the $ in $PWD like this:
PS1="\$PWD ->"
this will give you a prompt that includes the current directory and
is dynamic - and it is alot easier than a whole bunch of
kludged functions.
			Bruce
---------
sar.casm \'sa:r-.kaz-*m\ \sa:r-'kas-tik\ \-ti-k(*-)le-\ n [F sarcasme, fr.
   LL sarcasmos, fr. Gk sarkasmos, fr. sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips
   in rage, sneer, fr. sark-, sarx flesh; akin to Av thwar*s to cut] 1: a
   cutting, hostile, or contemptuous remark : GIBE 2: the use of caustic or
   ironic language - sar.cas.tic aj

                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (03/06/91)

In article <7365@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
>In article <57993@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:
>}lvc@cbnews.att.com (lawrence.v.cipriani) writes:
>}>I suggest the cd in function ch be quoted:
>}
>}>	function ch {
>}>		if "cd" ${*:-''}
>}...
>}>so that a second ". $ENV" will not see 'ch' inside of function ch.
>WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE IT SO HARD?????
>The $PWD variable changes when you cd.
>ksh provides for another eval of the prompt string before printing it,
>so all you have to do is quote the $ in $PWD like this:
>PS1="\$PWD ->"
>this will give you a prompt that includes the current directory and
>is dynamic - and it is alot easier than a whole bunch of
>kludged functions.

PS1='$PWD ->'

Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson  |  floyd@ims.alaska.edu   |  Alascom, Inc. pays me
Salcha, AK 99714   |    Univ. of Alaska      |  but not for opinions.

gwc@root.co.uk (Geoff Clare) (03/07/91)

lvc@cbnews.att.com (lawrence.v.cipriani) writes:

>Why not use "${@:-''}" instead of ${*:-''} ?

Neither of these correctly preserve the argument list.  In fact "${@:-''}"
will pass two single quotes when there are no arguments, so it's even
worse than plain "$@" which just passes an empty string.

The only way (as far as I'm aware) to get it right in all cases is:

    ${1+"$@"}

--
Geoff Clare <gwc@root.co.uk>  (Dumb American mailers: ...!uunet!root.co.uk!gwc)
UniSoft Limited, London, England.   Tel: +44 71 729 3773   Fax: +44 71 729 3273

heiby@mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) (03/08/91)

In article <7365@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
>WHY DO YOU WANT TO MAKE IT SO HARD?????
>The $PWD variable changes when you cd.
>ksh provides for another eval of the prompt string before printing it,
>so all you have to do is quote the $ in $PWD like this:
>PS1="\$PWD ->"
>this will give you a prompt that includes the current directory and
>is dynamic - and it is alot easier than a whole bunch of
>kludged functions.

Yup.  I suppose that if all you want is the absolute pathname of your
current working directory, then all you have to do is something like
you suggest.  Of course, there are some long pathnames out there.  I
find on my system one that would give a prompt string (with your
suggestion) something like:

/src68/usr/src/cmd/sadmin/admin/menu/diagnostics/diskrepair/badtrack ->

That doesn't leave much room for typing a command!  Also, it doesn't
provide any of the other things that have been integrated into the
"monster" prompt that many people have found useful.
--

noraa@cbnewsk.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) (03/08/91)

In article <7365@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (The Grand Master) writes:
>The $PWD variable changes when you cd.
>ksh provides for another eval of the prompt string before printing it,
>so all you have to do is quote the $ in $PWD like this:
>PS1="\$PWD ->"
>this will give you a prompt that includes the current directory and
>is dynamic
>			Bruce

OK.  That's solved.  Now -> I like to have my p[rompt in reverse video
(and in distinct colors when I am working on a terminal with those
capabilities).  Anyway, for the terminal I use the most, this is my PS1
definition:

export PS1=`print - "\`tput smso\`\`tput blink\` ${SYSNAME}-> \`tput sgr0\` "`

How do I get the \$PWD in my PS1 definition to be printed in reverse
video?

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
TR@CBNEA.ATT.COM

noraa@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) (03/09/91)

Thanks to Ihor Kinal, I've set PS1 so that it prints in reverse video on
my terminal.  This is what I have in my .profile:

           export RMSO=`tput rmso`
           export SMSO=`tput smso`
           export PS1='${SMSO}${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> ${RMSO} '

Yes, it can get long if the path to where you are at is long, but that
doesn't bother me.  What I like is that when I am running windows or
layers I can immediately tell where I am at in a window.  No need for
pwd.  Also, I can tell which machine I am logged on to in the window or
layer (as long as I put the above lines in all my .profiles on the
machines that I routinely work on.  I know there are many ways to get
this same information and have it displayed in X Windows, but I like to
be consistent across machines.

Anyway, try this out - you might like it.

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
TR@CBNEA.ATT.COM

clercqm@nijmeg (Marien de Clercq) (03/13/91)

noraa@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) writes:

>Thanks to Ihor Kinal, I've set PS1 so that it prints in reverse video on
>my terminal.  This is what I have in my .profile:

>           export RMSO=`tput rmso`
>           export SMSO=`tput smso`
>           export PS1='${SMSO}${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> ${RMSO} '

I don't know if you use the environment variables RMSO and SMSO again at
other places, but if you don't, why bother defining them if you could the
same with:

           PS1=`tput smso`'${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> '`tput rmso`

(I don't know why you should export PS1, I never did)

--

Marien de Clercq

Intergraph European Mfg. bv.
Nijmegen - The Netherlands

Mail: (..!)uunet!ingr!nijmeg!m_clercq

tif@doorstop.austin.ibm.com (Paul Chamberlain) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.180408.26450@nijmeg> clercqm@nijmeg (Marien de Clercq) writes:
>           PS1=`tput smso`'${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> '`tput rmso`

This has caused me problems on some terminals since you never know what
the escape sequence is gonna be.  Sometimes it includes an exclamation
point which causes many troubles (seems like a dollar sign might cause
some problems too but I haven't had that problem ... yet).  Furthermore,
I seem to recall having problems when trying to do this in-line so I use:

	so="`tput smso`"
	so="`echo $so | sed -e 's/!/!!/g'`"
	ro="`tput rmso`"
	ro="`echo $ro | sed -e 's/!/!!/g'`"
	typeset PS1="$so${HOST}:\${PWD#\${PWD%/*/*/*}/}->$ro "
	unset so ro

Obviously, that does some other things too.  I'm not sure why I have
the word "typeset" in there.  (I even simplified this for posting!)

Paul Chamberlain | I do NOT speak for IBM.          IBM VNET: PAULCC AT AUSTIN
512/838-9748     | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!doorstop.austin.ibm.com!tif

rlp@druwa.ATT.COM (PrehnRL) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar12.180408.26450@nijmeg>, clercqm@nijmeg (Marien de Clercq) writes:
> noraa@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) writes:
>
> >Thanks to Ihor Kinal, I've set PS1 so that it prints in reverse video on
> >my terminal.  This is what I have in my .profile:
>
> >           export RMSO=`tput rmso`
> >           export SMSO=`tput smso`
> >           export PS1='${SMSO}${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> ${RMSO} '
>
> I don't know if you use the environment variables RMSO and SMSO again at
> other places, but if you don't, why bother defining them if you could the
> same with:
>
>            PS1=`tput smso`'${SYSNAME} ${PWD#HOME/}-> '`tput rmso`
>
> Marien de Clercq

I use RMSO SMSO variables for ${PS2} ${PS3} ${PS4} and numerous shell scripts
& make files.  Setting these variables eliminates 2 calls to tput every time
I want something in Stand-out mode.

For prompts I normally use "${SMSO}[${SYSNAME} ${LOGNAME}]${RMSO} " with the
current directory shown on the status line or window label area.  PS[234] are
variations of PS1.  When executing vi, the status line/label changes to:
"${PWD} VI ${*}", upon returning from vi, the current directory is then
redisplayed on the status line/label.  Similar manipulations are done when
executing rlogin, telnet, ftp or su.  It makes it a lot easier to deal with
multiple windows on several terminals.

 11900 North Pecos |   | <__> |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |                        |
 Denver, Co  80234 |   |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    THE           CHOICE|
 (303) 538-4554    |                                                           |