[comp.unix.shell] Partial redirection??

lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu (03/22/91)

Hello Out There!

Is there any way to "partially redirect" a file to a process.  That is,
I want the process to take its input from 'filename' until EOF, and then
accept input from stdin.

Thanks!

Joe
                                                   _  _  __
  Joseph W. Lavinus (lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu)     | / \ |_
  Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia            __| \_/ |_

pfalstad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Falstad) (03/22/91)

lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu () wrote:
>Is there any way to "partially redirect" a file to a process.  That is,
>I want the process to take its input from 'filename' until EOF, and then
>accept input from stdin.

cat filename - | command

--
Paul Falstad, pfalstad@phoenix.princeton.edu PLink:HYPNOS GEnie:P.FALSTAD
     To boost the economy, I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (03/22/91)

In article <1053@creatures.cs.vt.edu> lavinus@csgrad.cs.vt.edu () writes:
>I want the process to take its input from 'filename' until EOF, and then
>accept input from stdin.

cat filename - | program

Or if the program supports "-" in its list of input files then:

program filename -

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government