[comp.unix.shell] license required for BSD unix?

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (04/11/91)

jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  You need two licenses in order to be able to get the full BSD sources.
>First of all, you need a source license from AT&T.  This is *very* expensive
>for commercial sites, and somewhat less expensive (although still not a
>negligable amount of money) for educational institutions.

>  Once you've got the AT&T license, you sign a license agreement with Berkeley.

>  The reason you need an AT&T license is that the BSD source code has some
>AT&T code still in it.  CSRG at Berkeley is trying to remove as much of that
>code as possible for 4.4BSD; I don't know if they're going to succeed in
>removing all of it.  If they do, the AT&T license will no longer be necessary,
>and I suspect they'll charge only distribution costs for the sources.

 *MOST* important part :

>  Incidentally, as they free parts of BSD of AT&T code, the put it onto
>uunet.uu.net in the /bsd-sources directory (although I don't know how often
>they update it).  So there is a lot of code there you can browse through that
>is freely redistributable.

>  In any case, the right people to contact to talk to about questions like
>these are:

>        Distribution Coordinator
>        Computer Systems Research Group
>        Computer Science Division, EECS
>        University of California
>        Berkeley, California 94720

>	(415) 642-7780

>	bsd-dist@Berkeley.EDU

>--
>Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
>MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
>jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
>Office: 617-253-8085			      Home: 617-782-0710

 So... csh sources in wuarchive are not ilegally...

 OK.. with this I think everything is OK... ok?

see you ..

Jose A. Vela A.

In article <3138@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx>, josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:
|>  So... csh sources in wuarchive are not ilegally...

  Yes, they were, and if you check again, you will see that they have been
removed, because the person who put them there realized that they were not
freely redistributable and he should not have done so.

  If you downloaded those sources and you do not have an AT&T source license,
you should delete them, because it is ILLEGAL for you to have them.

  By the way, quoting 36 lines from my original posting in order to make a
one-line point about it is just a bit excessive, don't you think?