[comp.unix.shell] public domain ksh sources - where ?

rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) (03/28/91)

Anyone know where I can ftp the latest version of the PD ksh ?
I found a copy at gargoyle.uchicago.edu, but most of the files
in the distribution are almost 2 years old.  I was wondering if
there is something newer ?

	Rich Stevens  (rstevens@noao.edu)

  A version of the public domain ksh was posted in alt.sources on December 12
of last year.  It can be retrieved via anonymous ftp from the machine
wuarchive.wustl.edu, in the directory /usenet/alt.sources/articles, in the
compressed shar files 2265.Z, 2266.Z, 2268.Z, 2269.Z, 2270.Z, 2271.Z and
2272.Z.

  I found this out by logging into quiche.cs.mcgill.ca as "archie" and typing
"set search exact" and then "prog alt.sources" to get a list of alt.sources
archive sites.  Then, I logged into wuarchive.wustl.edu, retrieved the file
/usenet/alt.sources/Index, and searched through it for the words "ksh" and
"korn".

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

johna@a-k.boston.ma.us (John Adams) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.205157.21923@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>  A version of the public domain ksh was posted in alt.sources on December 12
>of last year.  It can be retrieved via anonymous ftp from the machine
>wuarchive.wustl.edu, in the directory /usenet/alt.sources/articles, in the
>compressed shar files 2265.Z, 2266.Z, 2268.Z, 2269.Z, 2270.Z, 2271.Z and
>2272.Z.
>
>  I found this out by logging into quiche.cs.mcgill.ca as "archie" and typing
>"set search exact" and then "prog alt.sources" to get a list of alt.sources
>archive sites.  Then, I logged into wuarchive.wustl.edu, retrieved the file
>/usenet/alt.sources/Index, and searched through it for the words "ksh" and
>"korn".

It's nice that you can do all this collection using taxpayer networks.  Could
you act as an intermediary for those of us who are not attending taxpayer
supported schools?  When can we expect your reply?

--
John Adams	johna@a-k.boston.ma.us	...!world!iecc!a-k!johna

brister@decwrl.dec.com (James Brister) (04/05/91)

On 5 Apr 91 03:24:51 GMT, johna@a-k.boston.ma.us (John Adams) said:

> In article <1991Apr3.205157.21923@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>>
>>  I found this out by logging into quiche.cs.mcgill.ca as "archie"

[ stuff deleted...]

> It's nice that you can do all this collection using taxpayer networks.

There's more than just taxpayer supported equipment in all of this--a lot
more.

> Could
> you act as an intermediary for those of us who are not attending taxpayer
> supported schools?

I wasn't aware that MIT is a taxpayer supported school (but feel free to
correct me). And I seriously doubt Jonathen has the time to consider your
request (even *if* he wanted to, which I doubt).

I suggest you switch to a *real* school. (Taxpayer supported or not).

> When can we expect your reply?

Don't expect one.

James
--
James Brister                                           brister@decwrl.dec.com
DEC Western Software Lab., Palo Alto, CA    {uunet,sun,pyramid}!decwrl!brister

In article <BRISTER.91Apr5102032@saratoga.decwrl.dec.com> brister@decwrl.dec.com (James Brister) writes:
> I wasn't aware that MIT is a taxpayer supported school (but feel free to
> correct me).

Well, okay. MIT is a (largely) taxpayer-supported school. In fact, I
don't know of any private university that doesn't receive most of its
funding from the Department of Education. (Public universities may be
entirely funded by the state; I'm not sure.)

---Dan

In article <1991Apr5.032451.8153@a-k.boston.ma.us>, johna@a-k.boston.ma.us (John Adams) writes:
|> It's nice that you can do all this collection using taxpayer networks.  Could
|> you act as an intermediary for those of us who are not attending taxpayer
|> supported schools?  When can we expect your reply?

  I'm seriously wondering what chip on your shoulder prompted you to ask this
in such a hostile manner.

  I'm terribly sorry that you don't have access to the same computing
resources that I do, but that's life.  In an ideal world, everyone would have
access to the same resources, but our world is not ideal, and whining about
that (and, given the way it was worded, I cannot help but perceive your
question as whining) is not going to change it.

  In any case, both "archie" and anonymous ftp to wuarchive.wustl.edu are
accessible to anyone who has E-mail access to them.  The former, by sending
mail to archie@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (send a message with body "help" for more
information), and the latter, by using the bitftp server
(bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu -- send a message with body "help" for more
information).  Furthermore, archives@hrc.UUCP also archives several
newsgroups, including alt.sources; for more information about it, send mail to
hrc!archives with contents

	send path uunet!<your host name>!<your username>
	send help

All of these methods are accessible even to people "who are not attending
taxpayer supported schools."  So it seems to me that you don't need me to act
as an "intermediary," and I don't intend to do so.

--

johna@a-k.boston.ma.us (John Adams) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.032244.14401@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>In article <1991Apr5.032451.8153@a-k.boston.ma.us>, I write:
>|> It's nice that you can do all this collection using taxpayer networks.  Could
>|> you act as an intermediary for those of us who are not attending taxpayer
>|> supported schools?  When can we expect your reply?
>
>  I'm seriously wondering what chip on your shoulder prompted you to ask this
>in such a hostile manner.

I asked jik in email which words he found hostile.  I received the reply
that I was "rude and condescending".  So I'm asking the net.
In regard to my original article (included in its entirety above):
	First, I compliment the collection methods.
	Second, I ask if others can benefit.
	Third, I ask if a reply will be forthcoming.
Does anyone else see this article as "hostile"?  What would you have written?

My dictionary defines "rude" as "ignorance of or indifference to good form".
Personally, I think "good form", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Webster defines "condescending" as "lowering from one's rank or station
in dealing with an inferior".  Not my choice of words to describe my posting.

--
John Adams	johna@a-k.boston.ma.us	...!world!iecc!a-k!johna

asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Bruce Varney) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr9.004636.18785@a-k.boston.ma.us> johna@a-k.boston.ma.us (John Adams) writes:
}In article <1991Apr8.032244.14401@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
}>In article <1991Apr5.032451.8153@a-k.boston.ma.us>, I write:
}>|> It's nice that you can do all this collection using taxpayer networks.  Could
}>|> you act as an intermediary for those of us who are not attending taxpayer
}>|> supported schools?  When can we expect your reply?
}>
}
}I asked jik in email which words he found hostile.  I received the reply
}that I was "rude and condescending".  So I'm asking the net.
}In regard to my original article (included in its entirety above):
}	First, I compliment the collection methods.
}	Second, I ask if others can benefit.
}	Third, I ask if a reply will be forthcoming.
}Does anyone else see this article as "hostile"?  What would you have written?

While I have had my differences with Jon, and never expected to support
HIS calling SOMEONE ELSE rude and condescending, I must nevertheless
come to his aid in this matter. Your statements were most certainly
inflammitory and biting. Maybe your intent was not to be sarcastic, but
the way in which you worded your "compliment" lends itself to that
interpretation. I, for one, however that the bite was quite intended, and
I agree that you are rude. Obviously you have not been briefed in
nettiquette yet. The computer systems at 'tax-payer-supported' schools
more than pay for themselves with the amount of research work and
teaching for which they can be used. Do you ride the bus/subway in your
city? That is tax-payer supported, and I don't see anyone chastizing you
for using it to get to the grocery store. If you are looking for a place
to blame poorly-spent tax money, there are many more appropriate places
to look - such as bilogy labs which are funded to study the mating
habits of the Africa Bullfrog (YES - $4 million for this last year!!).
}
}My dictionary defines "rude" as "ignorance of or indifference to good form".
}Personally, I think "good form", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

"good form" means not comming to OUR forum and criticizing us for doing
something which is completely within the rules.

}Webster defines "condescending" as "lowering from one's rank or station
}in dealing with an inferior".  Not my choice of words to describe my posting.
I agree - certainly none of us are inferior to you!

You need more than a dictionary to communicate. Maybe you should consider
taking some type of course in communication. Maybe you should also consider
taking a course in good manners.
}
}--
}John Adams	johna@a-k.boston.ma.us	...!world!iecc!a-k!johna

			As always,
			   The Grand Master
---------
                                   ###             ##
Courtesy of Bruce Varney           ###               #
aka -> The Grand Master                               #
asg@sage.cc.purdue.edu             ###    #####       #
PUCC                               ###                #
;-)                                 #                #
;'>                                #               ##

john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) (04/10/91)

In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".

So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??

Am I making some foolish assumption here - or can I pick up the official source
to ksh out there??

Thanks in advance
John

John Warburton                          Phone   : +61 8 228 5583
Department of Computer Science          Telex   : UNIVAD AA89141
University of Adelaide                  Fax     : +61 8 223 1206
GPO Box 498 Adelaide SA 5001            ACSnet  : john@cs.adelaide.edu.au

In article <2797@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
|> In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
|> phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
|> AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".
|>
|> So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
|> So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??

  I don't understand the logic you're implying here.  Why can you conclude
from the fact that you can call a phone number in order to arrange to get
source code, that the source code is public domain?

  In fact, when you call the phone number you have to arrange to *pay AT&T
money* to get the source code.  AT&T's ksh is not in the public domain.

  There is, however, a public domain version of ksh, which is what we've been
discussing here.  I won't mention how to get it again, since I just did that a
few days ago :-)

--

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (04/10/91)

(John Warburton) writes:

>So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
>So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??

The assumption does not follow. The ToolChest is a service through which
AT&T can distribute software that they may or may not wish to support, and
everything in it has a price [but usually not large], and the source is
available.

Ksh is now being bundled with various systems, for example ULTRIX.
I would not be surprised to see it in the next release of SunOS as well.

The public domain ksh (originally by Erik Gisin) is a subset of ksh,
something like a minimalist version. By and large, it works.

oz
---
Ps: If you need the toolchest description of ksh, drop me a line.
---
We only know ... what we know, and    | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
that is very little. -- Dan Rather    | UUCP: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz

ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) (04/11/91)

In article <2797@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
> In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
> phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
> AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".
>
> So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
> So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??

There is a per-item charge, and, I think, an initial registration fee.
I no longer have the logs of the dial-in session I did some time back
to the AT&T toolchest, or I'd post the charges.

You can dial in and browse free of charge, but the charges once you want
something are not insignificant -- several hundred for something as
usefull as ksh, I recall.

For those not in the know, the AT&T Toolchest is a bulletin-board system
wherein AT&T has gathered some of the things developed internally and
found useful, and offered them for sale.  I have a list I saved when I
dialed in, but it is in hardcopy format, and I don't feel like typing it
in.

--
Ken Hardy		uunet!racerx!ken		ken@racerx.UUCP

fff@pcsbbs.UUCP (Frank Fiamingo) (04/11/91)

John,

I saw your original posting.  Since you are asking, I interpreted it the same
way Jonathan did.  How was your reference to "taxpayer suported" supposed to
be taken.  It sure sounded like you had a bone to pick with someone.  I have
only been on the net a short time.  In that time I have seen numerous helpful
postings from Jonathan Kamens.  I have filed his name away as a reference for
when I get to the point where I am able to ask an intelligent question.  If
your meaning was misunderstood, please enlighten me.  I think it is quite
telling that Jonathan answered your question in spite of the tone of your
request.  Again, this is just my opinion since you asked.

Frank Fiamingo

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (04/11/91)

In article <2797@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>,
john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
> In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
> phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
> AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".
>
> So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
> So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??
>
> Am I making some foolish assumption here - or can I pick up the official source
> to ksh out there??

The number allows access to their online browsing/ordering system.
Once you have executed a Toolchest Licence, it is a pretty slick
system.  When you want to buy something, you log in, place your
order, giving them a PO number.  They deliver the package overnight
via uucp, and send you a bill in the mail.

It works very well, *once* you have been able to get the licensing
stuff.  I did this at two companies, and in both cases it took over
a month.  Once you have this, the toolchest administrator is very
efficient.

In any case, try browsing the toolchest... It's pretty interesting.
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@ssd.dl.nec.com
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison

mef@Unify.com (Marvin Fenner) (04/12/91)

] >In article <1991Apr5.032451.8153@a-k.boston.ma.us>, I write:
... reformatted original text ...
] >|> It's nice that you can do all this collection using taxpayer
] >|> networks.  Could you act as an intermediary for those of us who
] >|> are not attending taxpayer supported schools?  When can we
] >|> expect your reply?
] >
] Does anyone else see this article as "hostile"?  What would you have written?
Since you asked... Let's just say your tone is somewhat
antagonistic. How about this:

It's nice that you can do all this collection at your site. Could
you act as an intermediary for those of us who don't have access?
Thanks in advance for your speedy reply.

ps - does your school receive gov't sponsored research grants? If
so, you ain't non-taxpayer supported my friend. One of the largest
private taxpayer supported schools in the U.S. is located in and
around Menlo Park, CA. (but we won't name names...)
] --
] John Adams	johna@a-k.boston.ma.us	...!world!iecc!a-k!johna

--
Marv Fenner        | <Disclaimer not available at time of printing>
Unify Corporation  |

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) (04/13/91)

In article <22341@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) says:

>Ksh is now being bundled with various systems, for example ULTRIX.
>I would not be surprised to see it in the next release of SunOS as well.
>
>The public domain ksh (originally by Erik Gisin) is a subset of ksh,
>something like a minimalist version. By and large, it works.
The opinions I've heard say that the PD version is more like an
improved sh or a very small subset of ksh. OK if you want a shell
for nothing but not if you want something even close to the 'real
thing'

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (04/13/91)

In article <2797@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> john@chook.ua.oz (John Warburton) writes:
>In reading the Korn Shell book by David Korn, page 4 gives you a bunch of
>phone numbers aroiund the world where you can get source code to ksh from
>AT&T via the "AT&T UNIX System Toolchest software distributiuon system".

>So, from this I would assume that it is in the public domain...
>So, is it possible to get it straight from AT&T on the Internet??

>Am I making some foolish assumption here - or can I pick up the official source
>to ksh out there??

AT&T will gladly UUCP the sources of ksh to you, if you pay the $10000 source
license fee up front.  There is no free lunch.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J Gerraty) (04/19/91)

In <91103.005514QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) writes:
>In article <22341@yunexus.YorkU.CA>, oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) says:
>>Ksh is now being bundled with various systems, for example ULTRIX.
>>I would not be surprised to see it in the next release of SunOS as well.
>>
>>The public domain ksh (originally by Erik Gisin) is a subset of ksh,
>>something like a minimalist version. By and large, it works.

>The opinions I've heard say that the PD version is more like an
>improved sh or a very small subset of ksh. OK if you want a shell
>for nothing but not if you want something even close to the 'real
>thing'

Well I'm using the that PD ksh on some sun's.  I use a real ksh
on our Bull DPX/2.  After adding a few simple features to the PD
shell (like editing lines longer than the screen width, and
retrieving words from the previous command line).  I switch
between the DPX/2 and sun all day (side by side on the sun's
console) and its hard to tell the difference.

Mind you I _only_ write scripts for /bin/sh, so I guess I
wouldn't notice some of the missing features in the PD ksh.  For
interactive work its fine.

Now if only I could find who posted the sources I have modified
so that my updates can be shared...

--
Simon J. Gerraty		<sjg@melb.bull.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer,_witty_comment>

sjg@melb.bull.oz.au (Simon J Gerraty) (04/22/91)

In <1991Apr18.235605.29857@melb.bull.oz.au> I wrote:
>In <91103.005514QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK> QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (Alan Thew) writes:
>>The opinions I've heard say that the PD version is more like an
>>improved sh or a very small subset of ksh. OK if you want a shell
>>for nothing but not if you want something even close to the 'real
>>thing'

>Well I'm using the that PD ksh on some sun's.  I use a real ksh
>on our Bull DPX/2.  After adding a few simple features to the PD
>shell (like editing lines longer than the screen width, and
>retrieving words from the previous command line).  I switch
>between the DPX/2 and sun all day (side by side on the sun's
>console) and its hard to tell the difference.

Boy did that get a response!
Thanks to all those who expressed an interest in my updates.
I will package the lot up into a complete tar file, as well as
some patch files and make it available for anon-ftp.

I will post here when it is ready (a bug seems to have worked
its way back into edit.c...) it might take a few days until I
have time to look at it.