[comp.unix.shell] How to log input and output in a shell

dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) (04/25/91)

How can I log any input or output from a shell into a file?

I tried

sh | tee foo

but I just got the output in this file.

I would like to have ANY input and ANY output logged in the file
"foo". Even the prompt...
And it should be possible to log a vi session too.

"WYSIWYG" explaines what I would like to have. Just everything what
appears on the screen should appear in the file too.

Anybody could give me a hint?

Daniel

--
Daniel Huber AD-KT2.6   VOICE: +41 31 52 96 64 FAX: +41 31 52 97 51
Ascom Autelca AG        Network Engineer, Network,Mail and News Manager

In article <1746@aut.autelca.ascom.ch>, dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) writes:
|> How can I log any input or output from a shell into a file?

|> Anybody could give me a hint?

"man script"

If you don't have that, see "cscript" in volume 17 if the comp.sources.unix
archives.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

rhartman@thestepchild.sgi.com (Robert Hartman) (04/26/91)

In article <1746@aut.autelca.ascom.ch> dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) writes:
>How can I log any input or output from a shell into a file?
>
>I tried
>
>sh | tee foo
>
>but I just got the output in this file.
>
>I would like to have ANY input and ANY output logged in the file
>"foo". Even the prompt...
>And it should be possible to log a vi session too.

BSD has a program called "script" that logs all I/O to the shell.  Not
sure about vi though.  -r