[comp.unix.shell] Box in a box

IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) (05/14/91)

Hi,

I'm very new to shell, and I know this is a very simple question, but
I would like to draw a box and after the box is drawn, draw another
box within it.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell the computer
that I want the screen to remain and not scroll.  We are running a 3b2
with SysV r.3.1.  I'm hoping it's not a machine depend problem.

Please, reply by e-mail.  Thanx for any help you can give me. :)

                         -+-                                                 -+
 Nicholas C. Hester       |                                                   |
ia80024@Maine.Bitnet      |  "They can't make me graduate.  I'm tenured."     |
ia80024@Maine.Maine.edu   |                                         - me      |
                         -+-                                                 -+

dkeisen@leland.Stanford.EDU (Dave Eisen) (05/15/91)

In article <91133.211948IA80024@MAINE.BITNET> IA80024@MAINE.BITNET (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:
>I'm very new to shell, and I know this is a very simple question, but
>I would like to draw a box and after the box is drawn, draw another
>box within it.  Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell the computer
>that I want the screen to remain and not scroll.  We are running a 3b2

This is not a simple question, screen and cursor control are not provided
in the standard utilities. You'll have to write a C-program using
curses, terminfo, or termcap. Or maybe something in a souped-up perl.
Either way, you have to handle the screen yourself in your program.

--
Dave Eisen                           dkeisen@leland.Stanford.EDU
1101 San Antonio Road, Suite 102     (Gang-of-Four is being taken off the net)