[comp.unix.shell] File from MacHell

phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) (06/26/91)

I ftp'd to a Macintosh running some version of NCSA Telnet, and, after
going to the directory of interest, said "dir".  I got a list of
files, including one with a trailing asterisk.  I got the file, and
there it was in my directory on the Sun running SunOs Unix Something.
However, it was zero length.  I tried to delete it with rm, using
every combination of quoting and escaping and globbing that I knew,
and every time I got the reply: HellFile* not found.  Saying "ls -q"
showed the entry "HellFile?". I finally ftp'd to myself on the Sun and
issued a delete command from there, and it worked!  Going to the Mac
Finder I saw that the name was really HellFile[non-ascii-character].
Now here is the question: Can a lowly user unlink a file that can not
be mentioned by name?  I couldn't get anywhere with clri.  And how
does one deal, with ftp, with files on Macs whose names have non-ascii
characters in them?

--
                                           Lee Phillips
                                           phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil

From the keyboard of phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips):
:Now here is the question: Can a lowly user unlink a file that can not
:be mentioned by name?  I couldn't get anywhere with clri.  And how
:does one deal, with ftp, with files on Macs whose names have non-ascii
:characters in them?

This is question #2 of the comp.unix.questions FAQ.  I'll be
glad to mail you a copy if you don't have it.  Perhaps someone
else could post an ftp address that hosts it.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
		"So much mail, so little time."

rhartman@thestepchild.sgi.com (Robert Hartman) (06/27/91)

In article <DrPHILLIPS.91Jun25170624@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil> phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) writes:
>I ftp'd to a Macintosh ... I got a list of
>files, including one with a trailing asterisk.
> ... I tried to delete it with rm, using
>every combination of quoting and escaping and globbing that I knew ...

In csh, say:

set noglob ; rm Hellfile* ; unset noglob

-r

phillips@fozzie.nrl.navy.mil (Lee Phillips) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun25.224223.25158@convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
   This is question #2 of the comp.unix.questions FAQ. [....]

   Half of it is. I am guilty.  This experience goaded me into finally
retrieving those FAQ files and reading them.  They are most
interesting.
   The second part of the question remains: How do I deal with funny
characters in Mac filenames through FTP?  How about two files whose
names differ only by a non-ascii character?  Before replying with a
facile suggestion involving mget, try it.

--
                                           Lee Phillips