[net.followup] spelin and gramer

bentonh@sri-unix (11/12/82)

         Heretofor I've avoided comment on the conflict over
most  of  the articles supporting one argument or the other,
deriving mountains of amusement from the battle.

         It is with great  satisfaction  that  I  read  such
articles  as  the  one included below. I sit and wonder what
drove this poor lexicographer to feel the need to go on  the
attach without the aid of his trusty dictionery.

         To me, grammer is a personal thing, like style, and
so  while I try to avoid ambiguous or misleading phrasing, I
also try equally to avoid formal english (and for entertain-
ment purposes include these little editorial comments, which
I'm not sure are strictly allowed in english at all).

________

>From tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ucbvax:decvax!harpo!floyd!cmcl2!philabs!sdcsvax!greg Wed Nov 10 13:29:59 1982
Subject: Re: Spelling and Grammar
Newsgroups: net.followup

I agree.  In addition to "its" and "it's", some of the net correspondants
don't correctly use "then" (meaning "following in time") and "than"
(meaning "differs from" (well, usually)), and "there", they're", and
"their".  It may be a small thing, but if someone can't pay attention
to the small things in their (not there or they're) writting, I wonder
about how much attention they pay to their coding practices.....

-- Greg Noel, NCR    ....!ucbvax!sdcsvax!greg
________

     For what it's (do I hear its? going once, going  twice,
SOLD  to the man with the surprised look on his face) worth,
I've intentionally mispelled a couple of words in this  com-
ment,  just  to keep the few unintentional ones from getting
too lonely. I expect the percentage will figure  out  to  be
about  the  same  as  Greg's.  Sorry to make you the example
Greg, but I just couldn't contain  myself  any  longer.  And
remember  "Judge not, lest ye be judged also!" (Does the '!'
go inside or outside the '"'??) Notice I make no judgements,
only  comments.  No  flames  please, unless you can make 'em
intertaining!  And  I  represent  the  crack  about   coding
practices.

     Benton Holzwarth
  ...teklabs!tekid!bentonh