[comp.unix.internals] Cron jobs running as something other than root

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x4312 dept208) (09/08/90)

----deleted material re. how to set up----

>the 'crontab' command. Just create a crontab file for the USER you wish
>to run cron jobs for. Then su to the username you wish to install it for
>and say "crontab < your_cron_file". That's all folks.
				     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On my AT&T SysV/386 system there are also two files in /usr/lib/cron which
must be worked with in order to let others use the cron utility:

	cron.allow	Contains names of the users allowed to use cron.
			One name per line

	cron.deny	Contains names of user who may not use cron.  All
			others may.  If this file is empty then ALL users
			have access to cron.  Format is one user name to
			a line.  This file is only used if cron.allow is
			not present, ie. if both are there only cron.allow
			applies.

	neither file	Only root can use cron.

These files control who can use the crontab command and are documented in
the man page for it.

>--
>Michael R. Johnston, Mgr.           Internet: mjohn@citib.com
>USCPG , Treasury Systems            UUCP: uunet!uupsi!bank!mjohn
>Citicorp, NA                        (718) 248-5373

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Product Support, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com